Why become a member? ×

Im in a total conundrum.

bubinga5

Im in a band with a couple of guys. The keys guy has departed a short while ago. The songs are funky rocky etc. 

The original songs are ok ish but don't blow me away. The singer has a voice that has no control and he's an average guitarist but he does teach guitar.  Hes a singer song writer who has (imo) no idea how to play funk. He just doesn't have that feel to his playing.

I suggested we try Vulfpeck's running away. What a great record.! He came to my house and it sounded ok. Then came the rehearsal. He suggested we down tune a semi tone to accommodate his voice.  I kid you not he murdered it. Properly bad. The most shocking thing to me is that he couldn't hear it when I said it didn't sound good. Im not sure what chords he was playing. I know when music sounds good and that was not sounding good. 

The awkward thing is I tried to like it generally and I've been quite enthusiastic thinking the songs might get better, tighter etc and have been with them for a while. So to let them down coming up to the summer when they are booking events I will probably come across like a total wombler. 

I was so looking forward to playing live in the summer, but I just dont believe in the music. Maybe ive just answered my own conundrum.

Edited by bubinga5

This might come across as a bit mean, but it isn't meant that way, as I've always enjoyed your musical postings, and so have followed quite a lot of your other threads.

It seems to me that you have found it hard to find what you want to do ever since I've been on Basschat. Are you too hard to please? Are you unable to compromise?  

This latest oufit did seem to have promise, but yes,  the original stuff you posted did need some work. Can you try and take on a leadership/mentor role with these guys. Tell them they have great potential but need to work a lot harder?

Good luck!

Imo there has to be at least one person in a band who will lead and point out when things aren’t sounding right. It’s simple coaching, only problem is many people involved in music are unwilling/unable to accept criticism. If you’ve tried this and still aren’t getting anywhere then I’d agree, time to go, but if there hasn’t been a leader/clear direction why not take on that role and see if you can get them to reach their full potential?

Edited by Lozz196
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, bubinga5 said:

His name is Ma.. Le......

:) Might I very politely suggest that for the sake of future relations you delete the guitarist's full name from your post.

Were he (or one of his pupils) to google his name, your observations in respect of his competence might come to his attention and who knows where it could all end? :)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

:) Might I very politely suggest that for the sake of future relations you delete the guitarist's full name from your post.

Were he (or one of his pupils) to google his name, your observations in respect of his competence might come to his attention and who knows where it could all end? :)

First thing I thought, hopefully the guitarist doesn't Google himself regularly (no euphemism). 

1 hour ago, skankdelvar said:

He's probably wondering why his YouTube hit count has suddenly spiked...

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

The band name too, I’d suggest...

If you're really looking forward to gigging, find something else before you quit. 

I was going to say we, as musicians, can enjoy playing any style, genre or subgenre of music, but that's not the same as enjoying being in a  band that can't play well!

I used to cycle a lot and read some great advice once  Never set out on a long road trip with other riders if your fitness levels are too far apart. You'll end up resenting each other, either because the iron men make you feel inadequate or the slow coaches mean you have to keep stopping for them just as you hit your stride. 

• Like 1

Being in a band that develops a great sound usually takes time and commitment. I started playing with a friend of mine who’d never played live before. He is, by all accounts, a bit mad. In the beginning it sounded terrible, but now he’s pretty good. It’s taken over a year to get there. I play jazz with a group of beginners, too. Musically they’re pretty terrible but they love it (and turn up every week on time - that means a lot).

I used to want to be cool in bands, now I just want to enjoy time with great people. If you like these guys and want to work to make it better, then good for you.

If you’re looking for the perfect band, then it’s probably better to start one than try to find one. 

If you decide to quit, do it amicably. When you start pointing out the faults of other people they’ll usually find a few of your own, so tread carefully is my advice.

Edited by Burns-bass
  • Like 2