Why become a member? ×

Blind Tasting

stewblack

The Sandberg’s pre amp stood out like a pair of doggy’s doodahs to me (I used to own a Basic VM). Didn’t like the Sire (too muffled) and it was a close run thing between the a Fender and HB.

Just did the PJ and the Sandberg stood out as different again, albeit non as pronounced as the JJ test. The Sire P p/up, fingerstyle was dull (again), but the bridge J was better than its JJ counterpart. Of the four it was, once more, a toss up between the HB and Fender, with maybe the Fender just winning on the J tone.

2 hours ago, ezbass said:

The Sandberg’s pre amp stood out like a pair of doggy’s doodahs to me (I used to own a Basic VM). Didn’t like the Sire (too muffled) and it was a close run thing between the a Fender and HB.

Just did the PJ and the Sandberg stood out as different again, albeit non as pronounced as the JJ test. The Sire P p/up, fingerstyle was dull (again), but the bridge J was better than its JJ counterpart. Of the four it was, once more, a toss up between the HB and Fender, with maybe the Fender just winning on the J tone.

Precisely my thoughts. I'm gonna get a sandberg when i grow up

Listened again with better headphones, as I was surprised people thought the strings on the Sire sounded dead. As it turns out my headphones are rubbish. This time I couldn't choose between the Sandberg and the Harley Benton.

I obviously knew which was which this time, but assumed (incorrectly, for the second time) I'd like the Fender best

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ezbass said:

I find the pre amp a bit clinical for my tastes, at least the one I had (Glockenklang?). YMMV.

I'm not a fan of the one in my VM4, so much so that I'm going to remove it. I like it a lot in passive form, even with the limited tone control that it has in passive form

• Like 1

On 13/01/2020 at 23:51, Doctor J said:

Work with me on this one... back in the 80’s, there was a TV show called “You Bet” where contestants would bet points on a challenge of some sort to be completed by guests they wheeled on. I’m pretty sure I’m not making this up. But I digress...

I am reasonably confident a challenge on one episode was a guy who said he could name the bass being played from a selection of, let’s say, 50 basses. This was from the mid-80’s, before I started playing, but it stuck in my mind. Does anyone else remember this? He had to name something like 13 out of the 50, picked at random, based on listening alone. I think he couldn’t do it either. Tripped up by ebony not sounding dark like its colour and non-laboratory conditions making a mockery of the science of it all.

I will work with you, Doctor J !

That guy was Jon Gold, erstwhile proprietor of Allbang & Strummit in Seven Dials, a fine guitar emporium of the time. Jon relieved me of lots of money over the years and was/is a bass-player himself, I believe.

Anyways, Jon confidently informed Matthew Kelly, on primetime TV, that he could identify, whilst concealed behind a screen, a selection from an unfeasibly vast pile of bass guitars, purely on the basis of their sound.

It didn't go well.

Good to know that this isn't all just a product of your diseased imagination, I expect?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, CPCustomdubwise said:

That guy was Jon Gold, erstwhile proprietor of Allbang & Strummit in Seven Dials, a fine guitar emporium of the time. Jon relieved me of lots of money over the years and was/is a bass-player himself, I believe.

That was a fine, fine shop. I'm pretty sure I met Jon on my visits. Ah, those were the days, Wals and Jaydees just hanging there, drool coursing down my jowls 🤤

7 hours ago, CPCustomdubwise said:

I will work with you, Doctor J !

Anyways, Jon confidently informed Matthew Kelly, on primetime TV, that he could identify, whilst concealed behind a screen, a selection from an unfeasibly vast pile of bass guitars, purely on the basis of their sound.

It didn't go well.

Good to know that this isn't all just a product of your diseased imagination, I expect?

You have no idea how good it is to know that actually happened 😂

What year was it, do you recall? I’d love to see it again.

On 11/01/2020 at 14:30, stewblack said:

I just did her PJ test as well. Interestingly my results were very similar. I guessed the Sandberg but thought the  Harley was the Fender.

Ditto, and the young lady can play well

Edited by Geek99
  • Like 1