Why become a member? ×

Blind Tasting

stewblack

1 correct, but pure guesswork overall. I went with the idea that the HB would sound the thinnest. What I thought would be the Fender turned out to be the HB. I'm calling shenanigans however as they, of course, should have sounded identical because the same fingers and tonewoods were used. By forum law, it should not be possible for them to sound different.

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Doctor J said:

1 correct, but pure guesswork overall. I went with the idea that the HB would sound the thinnest. What I thought would be the Fender turned out to be the HB. I'm calling shenanigans however as they, of course, should have sounded identical because the same fingers and tonewoods were used. By forum law, it should not be possible for them to sound different.

Same. I too thought, as much as i love HB gear their bass, in a blind test would either be thin, or weak, or muffled. Wrong.

41 minutes ago, stewblack said:

I too thought, as much as i love HB gear their bass, in a blind test would either be thin, or weak, or muffled. Wrong.

Probably because the HB's use alnico pickups these days (except the very cheapest models), explains why they don't sound thin.

Pickups by brands like Wilkinson, Roswell or Toneriders shouldn't be sniffed at because they are a fraction of the cost of Fenders etc.

• Like 2

Whatever differences you think your are hearing is obviously the placebo effect of thinking they will sound different, when in actual fact all four sounded identical because they were played by the same person, with the same fingers, and as we all know........... it's all in the fingers. 

:on_the_quiet:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, jimbobothy said:

... I was just going on the tone I preferred and it was No. 2 overall. I suppose I’ll be going for a Sire if I ever want a jazz again then 👍🏼

I thought that was by far the worst....

I don’t play Jazzes - haven’t touched one in years - so didn’t really have that much of a reference, but I got 2. Mixed up the Sire and the HB. I thought the Sandberg was easily the best. 

• Like 2

Luckily enough the people making these tests are not working for the pharmaceutical sector otherwise we would have some really dangerous drugs on the market...

These deaf (blind would be a compliment) tests are always biased and anti-scientific.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

Luckily enough the people making these tests are not working for the pharmaceutical sector otherwise we would have some really dangerous drugs on the market...

These deaf (blind would be a compliment) tests are always biased and anti-scientific.

I found it a harmless bit of fun. 

• Like 5

17 hours ago, stewblack said:

I found it a harmless bit of fun. 

Exactly. It presents you with the results of your cognitive bias, nothing more. 

I remember a thread on talkbass years ago (before the humour vanished and the Fender shills ruined it) where someone put up samples of a late 50’s Precision and a bottom-rung Squier with a high-quality aftermarket pickup and listeners were tasked with picking which was which from audio alone. When faced with not being able to pick out the mojo, musically charged old-wood molecules, nitro, mellow aged magnets, pre-CBS sorcery and all the other guff we convince ourselves of and apply value to, some people got surprisingly defensive about it all.

It’s amazing how much we hear with our eyes at times 🙂

Edited by Doctor J
  • Like 3

Work with me on this one... back in the 80’s, there was a TV show called “You Bet” where contestants would bet points on a challenge of some sort to be completed by guests they wheeled on. I’m pretty sure I’m not making this up. But I digress...

I am reasonably confident a challenge on one episode was a guy who said he could name the bass being played from a selection of, let’s say, 50 basses. This was from the mid-80’s, before I started playing, but it stuck in my mind. Does anyone else remember this? He had to name something like 13 out of the 50, picked at random, based on listening alone. I think he couldn’t do it either. Tripped up by ebony not sounding dark like its colour and non-laboratory conditions making a mockery of the science of it all.

• Like 1