Why become a member? ×

Centre positive

stewblack

Excuse the utter imbecility of this, if it offends just move on.

If I want to power a pedal with a centre positive socket is it simply a case of hacking off the centre negative plug from a power cable and shoving on a 3.5mm jack in its place?

11 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Yeah but if I wanted to do it myself

Then you don't want a 3.5mm jack... :)

Me? I'd cut the power lead and rejoin it with the conductors reversed. Twist & solder the conductors, and tidy it all up with heatshrink sleeving.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, barkin said:

Then you don't want a 3.5mm jack... :)

Me? I'd cut the power lead and rejoin it with the conductors reversed. Twist & solder the conductors, and tidy it all up with heatshrink sleeving.

Hhmm. A 3.5mm fits rather nicely in the hole. 

2 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Hhmm. A 3.5mm fits rather nicely in the hole. 

If that is the case then it might be a good idea to know what the pedal is. From what you are saying, I assume the centre positive power connection you refer to isn’t a 2.5mm barrel type?

In the past, I had a few pedals which needed a 3.5mm jack to power them from a PSU (ProCo Rat, EHX Small Stone/Small Clone).

I simply modified a few of the leads with a 3.5mm jack I bought from the local music shop, figured out the positive & negatives, then soldered the leads to the jacks. Lasted for years with no problems. Sold the pedals and included the leads.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Dood said:

If that is the case then it might be a good idea to know what the pedal is. From what you are saying, I assume the centre positive power connection you refer to isn’t a 2.5mm barrel type?

It's  a mini Qtron by ehx. Takes  a 3.5mm jack