Why become a member? ×

Advice Required re. Bass Neck Removal...

Old Man Riva

Hi gang,

I want to take some pics of a neck date stamp and neck pocket on a 60s P-bass.

I’ve never been one to tinker with basses (string height and intonation is right at the end of my technical limit!) so have no experience of removing necks etc.

My normal inclination would be to take it to someone who knows what they’re doing but I’ve looked on YouTube and it seems really straightforward.

So... is it straightforward (?!) and if I do muster the courage to do it is there anything I need to be mindful of - i.e. will it require a set up afterwards?!

Any advice appreciated!!

34 minutes ago, Bigwan said:

It's just 4 screws... 

Just make sure neck doesn't fall off and hit anything. 

Yep, and make sure when you put it back on you get a soft dry cloth to clean the neck and neck pocket of any small wood shavings, so it goes back on properly and straight.

It's straightforward enough but obviously needs to be done with care. A few things to watch out for:

1. If the neck is shimmed the shim will fall out and need to be replaced in the same position (providing you were happy with how the neck was set in the first place).

2. When re-assembling, gently turn the fixing screw counter-clockwise first and you should detect a point where it 'clicks' into the hole. This indicates that it is lined up with the existing thread in the hole in the pocket. Then screw in as normal. If you don't do this the screw may tap a new thread in the hole which chews up the wood. Better if it can screw back into exactly the same threaded hole.

3. Before tightening the neck screws, put the strings on at very low tension and check that the neck is properly aligned from the front. If the pocket has any wiggle room it's easy for the neck to become slightly misaligned so best to check before tightening.

4. Don't overtighten the neck screws. Tighten gently but firmly. When they just feel tight stop, don't be tempted to try and make them super-tight which will just risk stripping the threaded hole.

Edited by ikay
  • Like 4

I was lucky enough to be taken through the process of taking a vintage bass apart by an expert a few years ago when buying a '64 Fender. All I'd add to the above is to make sure you use the same screw in the same position when you replace the neck, and that you tighten each screw in turn so that you don't pull the neck slightly out of line by tensioning one corner more than the others. 

Is it a 60's PBass you're selling? If so, I'm looking for one at the moment :)

• Like 1

To add to @Doctor J 's good post: a correctly-fitting screwdriver isn't just of the right size but is also the right type. This means it will almost certainly be a Phillips*, not a PoziDriv which is the type used nowadays for almost everything (non-guitar) around the house and in construction etc. They are both crossheads but are not really interchangeable, you'll end up chewing the screwhead if you mix them. 

*There are also JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) screws, for which there are JIS screwdrivers. Unsurprisingly, these are mainly found on some Japanese guitars. JIS and Phillips are quite similiar so you can generally use either driver for these screws.

Top tip from @ikay about reversing the screw when you come to reassemble. To add, after placing the screw in the hole and reversing it to seat it in the thread, do the first few turns with your fingertips which will also ensure you are in the original thread and aren't cutting a new one or cross-threading. You can also achieve this by turning the screwdriver shaft with your fingertips for the first few turns - one reason why some screwdrivers have a textured section at the top of the shaft. 

Edited by KevL
spelling

I like to use a ratchet screwdriver when removing a neck, because if the screws are stiff they allow you to put your maximum torque through a short distance (e.g. an 1/8th of a turn) and then return/repeat, whilst maintaining control. In my experience this reduces the risk of gouging the screw head slots. Good luck Mick!

I’ve removed quite a few necks before to check the date stamps, I laid mine out on a  flat surface with a few bath towels and a few bits of foam under the body , so as not to mark it and just took my time, also , ease the neck off gently so you don’t chip the paint 🙂