Why become a member? ×

The Reggae Thread

Reggaebass

3 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Thanks, that’s the one, I’ve heard a few versions but that’s the one ☝️1967 wow 

an earlier version perhaps the original, tho it could be possibility based on an old american mid west country joint

The Spanishtonians - Stop That Train

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Great info there t/h, I like the Keith & tex version, it’s got a heavy Bassline, I’ve just been playing it 

well it was the Tighten Up Volume mixes by Trojan that catapulted reggae as a genre into the masses ,,  those who knew about reggae before 1970 ,, not bad, those who remember reggae before 1968 , great , those who remember reggae before 1964 ? are probably jazz men or calypso guys ,,

slip of the tongue actually, as there wasn't really such a thing as "reggae music"  in the early 1960s  ;D

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Bean9seventy said:

well it was the Tighten Up Volume mixes by Trojan that catapulted reggae as a genre into the masses ,,  those who knew about reggae before 1970 ,, not bad, those who remember reggae before 1968 , great , those who remember reggae before 1964 ? are probably jazz men or calypso guys ,,

slip of the tongue actually, as there wasn't really such a thing as "reggae music"  in the early 1960s  ;D

Yeah, I started playing as a kid in 1977, and most of my friends parents listened to a lot of ska and Motown 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Yeah, I started playing as a kid in 1977, and most of my friends parents listened to a lot of ska and Motown 

would probably have to be in documentary to describe my earliest recollections,, & how it turned into the Mod movement ,, Hippy movement &  of cause Reggae ,,

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bean9seventy said:

would probably have to be in documentary to describe my earliest recollections,, & how it turned into the Mod movement ,, Hippy movement &  of cause Reggae ,,

I was just trying to think , and the earliest track that I remember being played at family parties was this 

• Like 1

Nice, Wiki gives us this -

Bob Marley and the Wailers (also known as Bob Marley & the Wailers) were a Jamaican reggae band led by Bob Marley. It developed from the earlier ska vocal group, The Wailers, created by Peter Tosh, Marley, and Bunny Wailer in 1963. By late 1963 singers Junior Braithwaite, Beverley Kelso, and Cherry Smith had joined on. By the early 1970s, Marley and Bunny Wailer had learned to play some instruments, and brothers Aston "Family Man" Barrett (bass) and Carlton Barrett (drums), had joined the band. After Bunny Wailer and Peter Tosh left the band in 1974, Marley began touring with new band members as Bob Marley and the Wailers. His new backing band included the Barrett brothers, Junior Marvin and Al Anderson on lead guitar, Tyrone Downie and Earl "Wya" Lindo on keyboards, and Alvin "Seeco" Patterson on percussion. The "I Threes", consisting of Judy Mowatt, Marcia Griffiths, and Marley's wife, Rita, provided backing vocals.

Simmer Down apparently dates from 1963, I never knew that !

Edited by taunton-hobbit
update
  • Thanks 1

I’ve had some interesting discussions on a few reggae forums about who played the bass on certain tracks on Bob Marley albums, i said it was Aston Barrett, but some disagreed and said it was Val Douglas, I know val has played with many famous reggae artists at some point or another , but none could show me any proof.   he also played bass for the Skatalites.

Edited by Reggaebass

7 hours ago, BoomTing said:

Bostin Fantastic !!!

look familiar ? Heinz aka Mr Benjamin Jet ,, probably going to an upper class dance ,

it was probably "after" he got tugged people want to hear fuss, or what it was all about , those low end beats ? Only played by Mr Tulip in his clubs from at least 1959

Johnny Ace

itimage.png.09d1c369ece16f2da5b0fa69286c3284.png

• Like 1

I quite often go down a rabbit hole with some tracks, a while back I was playing this by Al Campbell , and I’d played it years ago to a different song, it’s the classic pretty looks riddim, there’s so many versions, I was trying to find out the original