Jump to content
Reggaebass

The Reggae Thread

Recommended Posts

Good bit of studio footage here from sly and Robbie who have been my main influence from an early age, nice bassline .

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love reggae music, but really for the music itself. I'm quite happy for it to leave jah and ratafari out because I just can't connect to that. Hence my preference for instrumental reggae, and also for reggae or heavily reggae influenced music from around the world which tends to have different natured lyrics (even if I can't understand them). Here's one from Turkey with Turkish and English lyrics; gets going at about 0:40. Reggae enough for this thread?

 

Edited by oakforest5961
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, oakforest5961 said:

Reggae enough for this thread?

Nice tune, I’m liking that ☝️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, oakforest5961 said:

I love reggae music, but really for the music itself. I'm quite happy for it to leave jah and ratafari out because I just can't connect to that. Hence my preference for instrumental reggae, and also for reggae or heavily reggae influenced music from around the world which tends to have different natured lyrics (even if I can't understand them). Here's one from Turkey with Turkish and English lyrics; gets going at about 0:40. Reggae enough for this thread?

http://youtu.be/WC4bvm9bOgY

 

Yeah, I get a bit tired of Jah and Babylon etc... so instrumental reggae, or in a language I do not understand works well for me ;)

Nice tune!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  1. I came across this really nice version of police and thieves , by glen dacosta, with boris gardiner or Robbie Shakespeare on bass and sly dunbar on drums 

And the original by junior Murvin from 1976 , I was playing this around 1979 🙂 great tune , nice Bassline 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Reggaebass said:
  1. I came across this really nice version of police and thieves , by glen dacosta, with boris gardiner or Robbie Shakespeare on bass and sly dunbar on drums 

And the original by junior Murvin from 1976 , I was playing this around 1979 🙂 great tune , nice Bassline 

 

The original is an absolute classic and one of my all time favourites, along with ‘Two Sevens Clash’. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We do a few reggae tunes amongst the ska, my favourite of them is Bob Marley "Is This Love". It's a lovely bassline, and I just adore the message... 'I've got absolutely nothing but I'll share it all with you, we'll manage somehow'. And it only mentions Jah once. Lovely.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Rich said:

We do a few reggae tunes amongst the ska, my favourite of them is Bob Marley "Is This Love". It's a lovely bassline, and I just adore the message... 'I've got absolutely nothing but I'll share it all with you, we'll manage somehow'. And it only mentions Jah once. Lovely.

Yeah we play this, good fun bass line :)

'Could you be loved', is another good one.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Clash nicked it, but I heard and loved this version first.

First band I was in had a great Jamaican bass player. The singer, rhythm (me) and lead guitarist are all now bassists!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if I should post this or not, but I would really like your comments. To me, it's one thing to have respect for the music (and play it that way), but another thing entirely adopt a religion that you have no cultural connection to. This might be well-done, but strikes me as just another cultural appropriation.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Mickeyboro said:

The Clash nicked it, but I heard and loved this version first.

First band I was in had a great Jamaican bass player. The singer, rhythm (me) and lead guitarist are all now bassists!

 

Great tune, there’s a few versions of it but , imo, that’s the best ☝️

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m a big Augustus Pablo fan and I recently dug this album out, I’d forgotten how good it was, there’s some really nice basslines , well worth a listen if you like the melodica , it’s pablo day today 🙂

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A nice tune here from the Gladiators from around 1976, which I’m not 100% sure but I believe Clinton fearon played bass on , sweet Bassline,

And here’s Clinton playing one of my favourite tunes, 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just posting this because I love it and it’s been in my head all day. The ultimate dub track in my opinion. Incredible. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, BrunoBass said:

Just posting this because I love it and it’s been in my head all day. The ultimate dub track in my opinion. Incredible. 

 

All time classic Bruno ☝️

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a bit of a Marley day today and played a few tunes i haven’t played in a while 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/02/2020 at 23:23, TheMaartian said:

Not sure if I should post this or not, but I would really like your comments. To me, it's one thing to have respect for the music (and play it that way), but another thing entirely adopt a religion that you have no cultural connection to. This might be well-done, but strikes me as just another cultural appropriation.

 

 

"another thing entirely adopt a religion that you have no cultural connection to."

like people in Europe adopting a religion started in the middle east by a bloke who spoke Aramaic? ;) 

 

The first white singer to have a reggae hit in Jamaica must have been doing something right?

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Raslee said:

Something for the weekend :)

 

Love dub inc!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/01/2020 at 13:26, Frank Blank said:

I was playing, book of rules by the heptones the other day

Booked them one Christmas, they turned up but the (British) backing band couldn't be bothered..........

they saved the day by singing every dub side of theirs that I had, into one stage mike - I think they did Book of Rules about three times (!) - the audience (& I) loved them - bless...........

😎

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m putting some time aside at the moment to play some Marley which i haven’t played much for a while, I dug out my Rastaman vibration album on vinyl and it reminded me of this tune which wasn’t on the original album but  released as a single around 1975 , nice Bassline 🙂

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/01/2020 at 17:04, oakforest5961 said:

Here's something a bit unusual. Well, I think it is because I have found it difficult to find... contemporary instrumental reggae. I say "contemporary" because I know there was stuff back in the day, but the recordings seem a bit muffled, and I don't find them very satisfying because of that. Also, the more modern stuff that I have found 'do it' more for me.

I started a Spotify list for myself and went looking (ok, listening) for material to add to it. Being instrumental was not enough to get on it, I also had to like it of course. After lots of searching, I only have nine tracks on it! Am I too choosy, or is it that there just isn't much to choose from?

Here is a link to my list https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6tPKi3RjabfMRbG9urIThG?si=yucIcrxlRhuJeogVn3SAEA.

If you don't want to check it out direcly, here is the listing of my playlist:

  • Sr. K. by Antidoping
  • Mandela (Dub Version) by Antidoping [be patient, what comes after the 52 second introduction is well worth the wait]
  • Bird on a Fence (Professor Skank remix) by One Drop Forward
  • Lovers Dub by Nigel Williams
  • High Horse Riddim by Dejavu Lifestyle Music Limited
  • Dub in the Bushes by Reblesteppa
  • Reward Rythym by M. Johnson
  • Joyful Dub by Avatar
  • Shackles & Chains Instrumental by Ziggi Recado

Recommendations most welcome.

Steve

Not very contemporary, but not ancient and muffled - the wonderful Ernest Ranglin with Sly & Robbie. Beautiful stuff. 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Mykesbass said:

Not very contemporary, but not ancient and muffled - the wonderful Ernest Ranglin with Sly & Robbie. Beautiful stuff. 

 

Superb mykesbass, another here I really like 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Reggaebass said:

Superb mykesbass, another here I really like 

 

Love the way Ernest and Monty straddled Jazz and Reggae so naturally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...