Why become a member? ×

The Reggae Thread

Reggaebass

7 minutes ago, Mykesbass said:

Heard Dennis Brown Black Rose yesterday. Nice use of Here I Come track, but which came first?

Good one Myke👍, I remember both tunes coming out and I’d say  Dennis brown was before Barrington levy , around 1983 ish ?, the riddim has been used a lot since, I’ll have to do a bit of digging , this is a good one 

I think this was the first  by Dennis brown 1982 ,if this world was mine, originally done by marvin Gaye?, 

then it looks like another release called revolution came out in 1983 produced by sly and Robbie 

and it’s been sampled since 

B673DB63-2EA8-446C-A74F-1A24D8BC6C8A.jpeg

Just to add 😁, While browsing I remember junior Delgado had this out around 1980 , similar riddim but different , what you think?

And from the Bushmaster revolution album ,pretty laid back,  I used to have this album, I’ll have to have a look in the loft 

37 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

And from the Bushmaster revolution album ,pretty laid back,  I used to have this album, I’ll have to have a look in the loft 

Nice and dubby, not usually a fan of 80s sound effects but that riddim is pretty great.

Been missing the Black Ark ear-splitting hi hat

Cool thread! Just found it, some great stuff right off. I got introduced to reggae back in '74 or so, Jimmy Cliff (soundtrack to The Harder They Come) and Bob Marley (Natty Dread). I do a summer reggae thing with some locals every year, played my first reggae gig with them 20+ years ago. Hope to get back to Clubland with them this year.

Gonna loom around here and cherry-pick awhile! Great stuff, cool experiences here.

Edited by Count Bassie
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Count Bassie said:

Cool thread! Just found it, some great stuff right off. I got introduced to reggae back in '74 or so, Jimmy Cliff (soundtrack to The Harder They Come) and Bob Marley (Natty Dread). I do a summer reggae thing with some locals every year, played my first reggae gig with them 20+ years ago. Hope to get back to Clubland with them this year.

Gonna loom around here and cherry-pick awhile! Great stuff, cool experiences here.

Thanks CB 👍, great to have you here 

• Like 1