Why become a member? ×

The Reggae Thread

Reggaebass

Scientist 'Vampires' arrived today. I've got a bit of a collection going on and all these are decent, 'pac-man' is next on the list.

20220131_115022.thumb.jpg.c90163a83b5784ae06b58c92b0804947.jpg

Licensing issues mean some are sold as 'Scientist' (mixed) while others are 'Junjo' (engineer Henry 'Junjo' Lawes) and some are 'Linval' (Producer Linval Thompson).

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, SumOne said:

Licensing issues mean some are sold as 'Scientist' (mixed) while others are 'Junjo' (engineer Henry 'Junjo' Lawes) and some are 'Linval' (Producer Linval Thompson).

Thanks for that, I did wonder what the difference was as I’ve got Junjo wins the World Cup 👍

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Thanks for that, I did wonder what the difference was as I’ve got Junjo wins the World Cup 👍

I think the recordings are exactly the same, I guess there wasn't a contract and over time the Mixer, Engineer, and Producer have each claimed credit (it just leaves the Roots Radics to stake their claim!).  

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, SumOne said:

I think the recordings are exactly the same, I guess there wasn't a contract and over time the Mixer, Engineer, and Producer have each claimed credit (it just leaves the Roots Radics to stake their claim!).  

Thanks, that’s a really great collection you got there 

8 hours ago, Maude said:

On sky arts now, 'Rudeboy' Story of Trojan Records. Followed by Toots and The Maytals, From the Roots. 

Obviously more Ska orientated but should be of interest. 

Thanks Maude, Rudeboy is a great one, there’s some good old footage on that one ☝️

• Like 2

On 27/01/2022 at 13:12, Reggaebass said:

Any idea what bass Robbie is playing here, I’ve never seen him play this one 

I have searched far and wide but can't work it out. There is what looks like a name on the headstock but I can't make out what it says. Could it be the cheap and cheerful back up bass for the studio?
It's a great video for seeing his thumb technique. Does he ever use the bottom string?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skilamalink said:

I have searched far and wide but can't work it out. There is what looks like a name on the headstock but I can't make out what it says. Could it be the cheap and cheerful back up bass for the studio?
It's a great video for seeing his thumb technique. Does he ever use the bottom string?

Yeah, I had a quick search and couldn’t find a bass similar , I’ve seen Robbie play 5s often and I’ve rarely  seen him use the low B, he seems to play the 5 as a 4 🙂