Why become a member? ×

The Reggae Thread

Reggaebass

23 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

I don’t know if this has happened to anyone before, but I was going through some Michael palmer tunes and came across this one , I know the song very well but the strange thing is that this vinyl used to be mine, it’s my writing and I used to write  my name on every record I bought, seemed odd seeing it 

I haven't had that but still but a lot of second hand vinyl so will keep an eye out for the 'Tony' collection! 

These in today:

16369121715927863227253814614680.jpg

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, SumOne said:

I haven't had that but still but a lot of second hand vinyl so will keep an eye out for the 'Tony' collection! 

These in today:

16369121715927863227253814614680.jpg

The Tony collection 😂, they are some really great albums you got there , I had the Gregory isaacs one years back and literally wore it out 

• Like 1

Have got a Reggae rhythm section formed with Drummer, Guitarist, Bass (me). We could now do with melody for our rhythm foundations to support so if anyone here knows of singers, keyboard players, horns, melodica, or anyone else that'd fit the bill please give me a shout. We practice in West London.

• Like 1

Anyone here played a Steinberger? 

Quite an 80's looking thing but I've seen that Robbie Shakespeare, Donald Dennis, George Fullwood, Flabba Holt had all used them (or something looking very similar) at some point.  I'm all about making life easy for myself and if I can (potentially!) get the sounds they got from them with a Bass that goes for about £200 and is light and easy to carry around then I'm all for it.

Pretty sure flabba and Robbie used the XL 2 or L 2 , I’ve got the hohner B2 -A fitted with flats and in active mode it really does the lows well, in fact I have to back the bass off a bit, I’ve never tried the steinberger but I was advised by a few friends that the hohner had better pickups, maybe others can advise on that one 🙂

0331D9B2-8CAD-4733-9A2F-674DB26B6F25.jpeg

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Reggaebass said:

There some more info here that might be of interest for you 🙂

Nice one. I'm going to do some more research but I'm quite keen - they are appealing as cheap backup Bass/one I can easily travel with (the Steinberger Spirit seems to go for about £200 2nd hand), and seeing that yourself and plenty of other Reggae players use them is a good endorsement.  I think the Bass player in Asian Dub Foundation sometimes uses one too. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SumOne said:

I'm going to do some more research but I'm quite keen - they are appealing as cheap backup Bass/one I can easily travel with

Yeah definitely, they tuck away quite nicely in the padded bag , the shape of them took me a while to get used to but after playing it for a while they are really comfortable 

• Like 1

My day started with no intention of getting another Bass. I watched a few Reggae youtube videos and it dawned on me that Steinberger type basses have been used by a lot of good Reggae players (possibly just because they are easy to travel with rather than anything specifically special about the sound) and that it could be handy for me as a backup/travel Bass.....before lunch I've gone and bought a 2nd hand Steinberger!

My limited research concluded that the original 80s ones are the best but cost >£3k, the Hohner ones seem to be considered better than the Steinberger Spirit but generally cost more and are rarer, the Steinberger Spirit cost £350 new or around about £200 2nd hand and people tend to basically say 'they're alright for the price'. So I'm not expecting to be amazed or it to replace my main 5 string Bass but I think it'll fill a niche (and it has a drop D tuner which is something I've been keen to spend time learning).

Edited by SumOne
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Pretty sure flabba and Robbie used the XL 2 or L 2 , I’ve got the hohner B2 -A fitted with flats and in active mode it really does the lows well, in fact I have to back the bass off a bit, I’ve never tried the steinberger but I was advised by a few friends that the hohner had better pickups, maybe others can advise on that one 🙂

0331D9B2-8CAD-4733-9A2F-674DB26B6F25.jpeg

Reggaebass do you run double-ball flats on that? The only ones I've ever found cost a bomb. I do think part of the of the original Steinberger sound is the Carbon-Fiber in my experience Flats sound great on Carbon basses

Edited by Sonic_Groove
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Sonic_Groove said:

Reggaebass do you run double-ball flats on that? The only ones I've ever found cost a bomb. I do think part of the of the original Steinberger sound is the Carbon-Fiber in my experience Flats sound great on Carbon basses

I bought a convertor block to clamp normal strings, and it gives me a much wider choice of strings. It might be worth investigating. I'm using D'Addario Chromes on a Hohner 5 string headless. 

David

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Sonic_Groove said:

Nice 👍 but like I say not too many bargains on DB Deep-Talkings. I think SumOne might like a Status (Like the ADF Guy) but they don't give them away either 🤣

Yeah, I wouldn't say no to a Status! There's a streamline for sale on here that looks good, it's more than 10x the cost of the Steinberger Spirit I just bought though which would kind of defeat part of the purpose for me as backup/travel bass that can be chucked about a bit!

Ideally I'd like to use Tapewound strings but I think that's a non-starter. 

Edited by SumOne

24 minutes ago, SumOne said:

Ideally I'd like to use Tapewound strings but I think that's a non-starter. 

Not sure if Tapewound would work with one of the adaptors? Expensive experiment if it doesn't suit though! Status (the company) used to sell some Great Halfwound DB strings for a great price, but not anymore ☹️

Somebody might make them though?

Edited by Sonic_Groove
  • Like 1