Why become a member? ×

The Reggae Thread

Reggaebass

9 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Yeah, and with a quick listen  it sounds a bit out of tune to me , or a few odd notes 

Think it is deliberate - need to listen again as this was on in the car, but sounds like it was going to a semitone down, then sliding up to the right note.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

More prolific than I thought. Looked on Amazon and there are more than 10 albums - as with all "new" artists it's hard to know what to buy. In such cases YT is your friend.

Sometimes I put the artist or song into Discogs , it’s quite handy for their history and a bit of info , then I see if it’s on YouTube for a listen 🙂

The Hal Leonard 'Reggae Bass' book is an alright introduction/overview with play along tracks and notation, it's main problem is all the tracks are 'in the style of' and are just a couple of bars so I made a Spotify playlist with all the actual tunes: 

....nothing most of you haven't already heard, but a good collection of classic bassline styles. Goes from Ska>Rocksteady>Reggae>2 Tone>Dancehall. (Dub seems to have been ignored). 

Edited by SumOne
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, SumOne said:

The Hal Leonard 'Reggae Bass' book is an alright introduction/overview with play along tracks and notation, it's main problem is all the tracks are 'in the style of' and are just a couple of bars so I made a Spotify playlist with all the actual tunes: 

....nothing most of you haven't already heard, but a good collection of classic bassline styles. Goes from Ska>Rocksteady>Reggae>2 Tone>Dancehall. (Dub seems to have been ignored). 

Thanks that’s superb, I’ve had the book for years, I’ll dig it out again later, dancing mood is a great track 👍

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Thanks that’s superb, I’ve had the book for years, I’ll dig it out again later, dancing mood is a great track 👍

The book does an alright job of covering about 30 years of bassline styles in 30 pages (it doesn't go past the 80s). The notation throws me a bit as it's not exactly the same as the originals but it's usually just a note or two away (probably just far enough to not get involved with copyright).

If I get enough time on my hands I'll transcribe the actual tunes. I got a blank music transcript pad a while back but it takes me ages to transcribe anything, I find it quite good practice for carefully listening and music reading though.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SumOne said:

The book does an alright job of covering about 30 years of bassline styles in 30 pages (it doesn't go past the 80s). The notation throws me a bit as it's not exactly the same as the originals but it's usually just a note or two away (probably just far enough to not get involved with copyright).

If I get enough time on my hands I'll transcribe the actual tunes. I got a blank music transcript pad a while back but it takes me ages to transcribe anything, I find it quite good practice for carefully listening and music reading though.

I too noticed the book wasn’t exact, I think it just gives you an outline, I tend to transcribe by breaking it down and listening very closely , I’ve had a few in the past where I wasn’t quite sure what notes were being played in a few parts, and I cheated and got someone to transcribe it for me 😁

what pad do you use SumOne 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I too noticed the book wasn’t exact, I think it just gives you an outline, I tend to transcribe by breaking it down and listening very closely , I’ve had a few in the past where I wasn’t quite sure what notes were being played in a few parts, and I cheated and got someone to transcribe it for me 😁

what pad do you use SumOne 

I've got a 12 stave per page non-ringbound one which was a mistake - it's too much of a squeeze and the pages want to shut themselves. I think fewer staves and spiral bound would be better. 

• Thanks 1