Why become a member? ×

The Reggae Thread

Reggaebass

In around 1981/82 me and my band mates hit London visiting the A&R departments of the major record labels pushing our demo tape. We got short shrift from them all which, in retrospect, I can’t say I blame them. However my overriding memory of that trip was staying with our guitarist’s older and much cooler brother in Queen’s Park and he had the most amazing record collection which included this album (gotta love that spring reverb): 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I was just thinking, whilst perusing the glorious variety of music on this most excellent of threads, that whenever I listen to a reggae track these days there is an element to my enjoyment missing and, after a few months of it niggling at the back of my brain during each listen I’ve suddenly realised what it is, I’m not smushed out of my gourd.

Odd it should take that long to realise.

• Like 1

Just because it reminds me of being dragged to a party by two punk/rude girl crossover ladies in my youth. Ended up in a big old house in Walthamstow that was absolutely rammed with huge skinheads. Now, with my skinhead-popular neon pink mohican, I assumed I was in line for a kicking, however, they turned out to be massively friendly and hugely into music, I should have known by the smell of the place, not glue but weed. Being smashed out of my bonce and dancing to Jamming in a room entirely packed with grinning skinheads is one of my fondest memories from back then. One of the women I was with put on Rock Lobster and I thought the vibe would come crashing down but no, another great memory is the same room totally getting down to the B52s too! Great night, happy times.

• Like 2