Why become a member? ×

The Reggae Thread

Reggaebass

9 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Yesterday On Jamaica’s Independence Day, music legend Jimmy Cliff released Human Touch, what do you think , I’m liking it 

There's something really cheesy about that but Jimmy Cliff can get away with it with that voice (he's always had some cheesy tenancies!), I like it. 

An interview with him in the guardian yesterday: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/music/2021/aug/06/the-return-of-jimmy-cliff-rebel-spirit-is-still-in-the-jamaican-people

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, SumOne said:

There's something really cheesy about that but Jimmy Cliff can get away with it with that voice (he's always had some cheesy tenancies!), I like it. 

An interview with him in the guardian yesterday: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/music/2021/aug/06/the-return-of-jimmy-cliff-rebel-spirit-is-still-in-the-jamaican-people

Thanks for that 👍, and yeah your right it is a bit cheesy, it’s kind of growing on me, I met him and all the band at the O2 a few years ago, really nice people 🙂

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Thanks for that 👍, and yeah your right it is a bit cheesy, it’s kind of growing on me, I met him and all the band at the O2 a few years ago, really nice people 🙂

Nice one, I'd be star struck... And yeah, id be shocked if someone said Jimmy Cliff wasn't nice.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SumOne said:

Nice one, I'd be star struck... And yeah, id be shocked if someone said Jimmy Cliff wasn't nice.

I was fortunate enough to be invited to the vip after show party, I was like an exited schoolboy, they are all really cool guys 

• Like 2

Just now, taunton-hobbit said:

I think it's The Gladiators - was going to post the Nana Mclean version, but this one caught my eye ........

😎

It’s great 👍, there’s a lot more bass and it sounds better on the one you posted 

• Thanks 1

Listening to the Horace Andy album -Dance Hall Style , last night and this track is just so good 

also Hits Pon Hits put this out yesterday, I’m really liking it but can’t find the original, unless this is the original ?  has anyone heard another version 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Listening to the Horace Andy album -Dance Hall Style , last night and this track is just so good 

also Hits Pon Hits put this out yesterday, I’m really liking it but can’t find the original, unless this is the original ?  has anyone heard another version 

Certainly seems to ring a bell maybe, but can't place it... Love it anyway !

• Like 1

A bit of a confession = for years I used a pro Denon cd double deck - it died about four years ago & I replaced it with a Numark CDN77 - much better 'tone' but Godawful slow to load & search; these days I tend to lean heavily on YouTube & I decided to fire the system up tonight for the first time in goodness-knows how long (bear in mind that I no longer play out) - and had to look at the instruction book to work out where continuous play was hidden - oh the shame (!) tonights offering herewith ...............

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, taunton-hobbit said:

for years I used a pro Denon cd double deck - it died about four years ago & I replaced it with a Numark CDN77 - much better 'tone' but Godawful slow to load & search; these days I tend to lean heavily on YouTube

I bet the tunes sound superb through your system, especially the dubsters, I play mine through my bass rig , markbass 15s with an interface, then I can play along, I haven’t got as much vinyl as I used to have so I too have to rely on YouTube, but some of the songs aren’t on YouTube, I was thinking of starting a channel but I don’t really have the time .  btw, I like the Pluto track, haven’t heard that in a long time 🙂

• Thanks 1

I note that after some delay, Henley Regatta is back shortly, which reminds me .........

A little while ago (1983, I think) I was gigging on the 'Trade' bank (opposite the posh stuff)

About 8pm some local posh bird (about 20 & out of her skull) drifts in wearing nothing but an open trench coat ......

She was swiftly removed by the hostess, who clearly knew her & her reputation.

So far so good.  About 9pm the wonderful nearly new heavy duty silent generator dies.

Cue loads of phone calls (remember this is Saturday night), my boss obviously knew the number for someone very high up

& an engineer turned up about ten, looked very forlorn and went off to get a bit of some sort.

Barbeques & booze in the fading light of an English summer evening can well be described as 'interesting'

(Especially with no music, my set needs that sparky stuff - so do the tent lights )

After the midnight fireworks, the lights finally came back on about 12.30am -

the more observant of you will notice that's a gap of about 3.5 hours.

Most of the audience had whizzed off & those that were left were distinctly 'in drink' (nice turn of phrase, that)

And that is how I landed up playing Pass The Dutchie to a group of Henley rozzers, who in truth, were plastered (in full uniform)

on duty & demanded I play the bloody thing at least 3 times ..............

• Like 2