Why become a member? ×

The Reggae Thread

Reggaebass

As a young man Growing up in Birmingham in the late 70’s & 80’s i found that we were far more integrated than we are now, I attended more than my fair share of ‘blues parties’ usually someone’s house and they could last days, occasionally you got lucky and some huge house in Handsworth or Moseley might have a sound system. 
steel pulse were rising stars but this one track and certainly the video that goes with it takes me back to good times 

Edited by Bunion
  • Like 2

1950, first ever Ska tune?... or certainly a big influence. This was a big tune Coxone played in the 50s (while keeping it's identity secret) and rival soundman Duke Reid was after it for years - revealing he'd got it at a soundclash. Coxone later set up Studio One and produced music by the Skatalites where you can assume he asked them to make similar tunes. I got the story from the excellent book 'Bass Culture: When Reggae was King' 

Edited by SumOne
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, SumOne said:

1950, first ever Ska tune?... or certainly a big influence. This was a big tune Coxone played in the 50s (while keeping it's identity secret) and rival soundman Duke Reid was after it for years. I got the story from the excellent book 'Bass Culture: When Reggae was King' 

Great track!..That reminds me of Louis Jordan's "jump" stuff.... its always really interesting to speculate what the guys were listening to early on, and what influenced them...

• Like 2

I've been having a blast from the past and listening to some Scientist tonight.. Tracks like this were very influential to some of the post punk bands too, especially the likes of Killing Joke etc, so influences go round in all directions..

I believe this track has Ansell Collins on keyboards.

Edited by Waddo Soqable
  • Like 4

I was listening to the album Showcase by Triston Palmer during the week, he’s known better for Joker Smoker,    it’s from 1982, it’s worth a listen, there’s some really great Flabba Basslines on there that I’d forgotten about, here’s a few 

The album has 6 tracks with vocals and 6 without 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Waddo Soqable said:

I can see I'm going to have to right back in this thread and listen to a whole bunch of these tracks when I've got a few hours free !  :)

I've been away for a couple of weeks & it's going to take some time to catch up LOL 😀

• Like 1