Why become a member? ×

The Reggae Thread

Reggaebass

If you’ve got some time  have a listen to this , it’s the Asham band , they are a Belgian reggae band who I follow, their bass player is Alain,  who you may know from YouTube, he’s a great reggae player and they are backing Linval Thompson , I’ve stolen some of the Basslines 😁

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

@greavesbass, if you fancy playing some mellow tunes, check out some of Gregory isaacs 🙂

box piano ? ,, goes to a time long before Cooke, long before , some call him "The Voice" the original & 1st voice undisputed aka Mr Marshal ,, note the rolling /strolling piano beat ? bigger than the king , & copied by so many ever since

Cooke was his sensational new wave replacement , & Gaye was the reluctant replacement of Cooke , ,, jazz man him a history man :)

remembering Paul trouble Anderson ,, only on Kiss FM ( thanks for the info ) image.png.1b819ba0f30e59e0b3a5657237fa6ea4.png

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bean9seventy said:

box piano

Sounds like a bass to me , although the cool ruler did use a lot of synth Basslines on lots of his albums, also I’m sure  that Robbie Shakespeare played most of the lines in the early days 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Nice track here by Barry brown 1980 ish, you will recognise the Bassline 

nice two step turn around,, with The Note being "On The One ,, ending up as the Last Note of the bass line

Right guys ,, i am thinking / ""going"" to do a you tube video  on Don Chandeler ""

How To Play Reggae Bass Like Aston Family Man Barrett ""

i just like to review "the main bass" part of Positive Vibration from a student type jazz prospective ,, the groove ,, ect , so guys can hear & see

any thoughts requests predictions here ,,, i will of course plug BASSCHAT in the upload cheers

hurry up tho because i might do the video today / soon , thanks

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bean9seventy said:

Right guys ,, i am thinking / ""going"" to do a you tube video  on Don Chandeler ""

How To Play Reggae Bass Like Aston Family Man Barrett ""

i just like to review "the main bass" part of Positive Vibration from a student type jazz prospective ,, the groove ,, ect , so guys can hear & see

any thoughts requests predictions here ,,, i will of course plug BASSCHAT in the upload cheers

hurry up tho because i might do the video today / soon , thanks

I look forward to seeing this Bean 👍

5 minutes ago, taunton-hobbit said:

interesting that it says, Large gatherings known as sound systems would take place at carnivals in Reading and Oxford,      Where would you say the first sound systems took place, because I remember them from east London when I was a kid 🙂

We had a resident sound (Neville Enchanter) in 1971/2  in Harrow - he came from North London & had, I think, been running for about four or five years prior to that ..............

😎

This is the usual Beeb stuff, half arsed and badly thought through - I can't seriously believe that someone actually thought  proper sound systems didn't happen until the 80's ....

Edited by taunton-hobbit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

interesting that it says, Large gatherings known as sound systems would take place at carnivals in Reading and Oxford,      Where would you say the first sound systems took place, because I remember them from east London when I was a kid 🙂

i remember a grown up i know telling every one (1964 / 67 ? ) "the Trinidadians were playing real live music ( Pan ) calypso out side of a pub & giving away free food"

the location was not east london  ,,

the revelation according to Godfrey image.thumb.png.3f904927bc01f190d85a0a5160380051.png

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, taunton-hobbit said:

big on the bass ,, smoke an once to make it legal ,

so a jazz man who sold records" was known to Mr Tulip, set up "The upper class dance party"

with royal accent ? ,, H,I,M

the revelation according to Godfery , many wanted to know why i was a tad excited about LBGS

image.thumb.png.d12e48419cf9d22fe9fec03a7380d605.png

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I read the wiki on Dancehall, it’s worth a read and there’s a few good links too 🙂

Paul Trouble Anderson , yeah man ,, some big stuff out there , nice ,, remember i am a disco man , can only talk about early days ,, life , so yeah ,, respect ,

The red imperial player , aka Mr Benjamin Jet

image.png.82aec55babc8e7485fea0083e346dbd8.png

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Sugar minott 

you easily see why Flemming wrote Bond on the islands ;) ,, so ? you heard about moonshot ,& if anyone asks, we were only drink talking about tulips ,,

so ? lol meme ,, would you rather be a double agent .. HIM

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Bean9seventy said:

you easily see why Flemming wrote Bond on the islands ;) ,, so ? you heard about moonshot ,& if anyone asks, we were only drink talking about tulips ,,

so ? lol meme ,, would you rather be a double agent .. HIM

my own short personal mix of this classic ,, 4 years ago ;)

• Like 1