Why become a member? ×

The Reggae Thread

Reggaebass

Just now, Tandro said:

Ok this might throw off the feel of the thread a bit, but I'm listening to this and I really dig it. But its giving me a sense of something else, and then I realise its this (at least in my head). Strip back the bassline a heck of alot more, concentrate on the main repetitive phrase slowed down, have the bass boom some more and fast forward a couple decades...at very least, it gave me a reason to listen to this one again :)

OK...back to the old school stuff now....

Yeah definitely similar. That was also used earlier:

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

My favourite track by Damien, the best he did IMO 

Im sure it was used in a few video games too, I remember it from grand theft auto 

he would have been known by some already but after that track he just blew up big time.

Fun/stupid story...I was out clubbing with some friends many moons ago, and Damien had a concert that weekend, so he dropped into the club with his peeps. So its late and we outside the club now jus' chillin' and Damien decides to leave and passes by us. My friend belts out 'Junior Gong!'. He proceeds to promptly drop his head, raise his fist and tell us the ubiquitous...'Blessssss...'.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Tandro said:

Damien had a concert that weekend,

Cool story, I’ve never met Damien,  but a few years back I had vip passes for Jimmy cliff at the O2 , I was invited to the after show party where I met the whole band and all the engineers, they were the nicest bunch of people I think I’ve ever met, and they know how to party 😁

• Like 2

On 10/05/2021 at 16:59, Reggaebass said:

Yeah none of the clubs were specifically reggae, only one nighters,  it would be different music on different nights, there was some basement reggae clubs scattered around, the only one that was, was the four aces in Dalston, I used to follow Jah Shaka and Sir coxone then too 

cats whiskers ,, bouncing ball , few places to down some rum , then you have your pure heads ,, like moonshot ,, you could "for a while" go to a sticks man is a money man blues  , and hippies like reggae at festivals so yeah reggae has yet to be banned

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Nice one bean, I haven’t heard that in years ☝️

we do what we can , as a disco man

we had the main disco party ,, they had the main reggae party ,, & the rest was history ,,

the person you never knew ,, by 1983 i was out of wanting be famous

• Like 1

A new record arrived today '100 tons of dub' and the title does it justice. Heavy sounding Channel One (soul syndicate) dub, I think mostly recorded in late 70s. George Fullwood, Robbie Shakespeare and Flabba Holt on Bass. 

This one is the most surprising, never heard it before but it sounds like it was made much more recently: 

Perhaps my favorite from the album:

16208195503928297462183653396184.jpg

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Today may 11th marks the 40th anniversary of Bob Marley’s passing , one of my favourite tracks, mighty Bassline 

1977 was good , 40 years ago not great , i don't remember 1982 , apart from the world cup ,

The Lyceum Ballroom we knew really well & the odd Pubs he jammed in , in the early days, 

& the old mans voice ? ,

Kitch not Cooke , :) if you knows your history , you do well, if you takes some advice ,  take your meat out me Royce , :)

next topic , why both desmonds & del boy were 5 years too late

• Like 2

Saw the Bob Marley Sky Arts thing last night which gave me the unstoppable urge to flick the power switch and kill all the the treble knobs......Oh my indeed. Just spent the last couple hours today jamming to his greatest hits......beautiful bass playing...mmm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, greavesbass said:

Oh my indeed. Just spent the last couple hours today jamming to his greatest hits......beautiful bass playing...mmm

That’s a great album to play along to, there’s some really nice Basslines on there , this is probably one of my all time favourites 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

That’s a great album to play along to, there’s some really nice Basslines on there , this is probably one of my all time favourites 

I could play along to "One Love" on a loop all day on my P bass with decades old Chromes fitted........Not sure the neighbours would agree tho. It's just the most perfect rolling bass line.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, greavesbass said:

I could play along to "One Love" on a loop all day on my P bass with decades old Chromes fitted........Not sure the neighbours would agree tho. It's just the most perfect rolling bass line.

The neighbours are probably enjoying it 😁, A few more Marley tracks that roll for me 

and from the great album confrontation 

• Like 2