Why become a member? ×

The Reggae Thread

Reggaebass

On 03/05/2021 at 18:55, taunton-hobbit said:

Sidney, George & Jackie - nightmare to employ, great blokes but never wanted to leave the dressing room- -

Reminds me of something John Peel said...

John said that he eventually stopped booking reggae artists for sessions due to the number of no-shows at the session studio. It may have been they'd blow out the session if they got a paid gig.

Does that sound plausible to you guys??

8 minutes ago, BoomTing said:

Lunnon(a)

One thing that was good in Lunnon was this place, it had the most amazing collection of reggae and dub, lots of it was straight from the studios in Jamaica, and imports, I spent all day on Saturdays in there 🙂

A72C91DE-37AB-4E6B-AC98-7D68A93D39FD.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

One thing that was good in Lunnon was this place, it had the most amazing collection of reggae and dub, lots of it was straight from the studios in Jamaica, and imports, I spent all day on Saturdays in there 🙂

I didn't get to that their Lunnon that early on (looks 70's ?). Found a place in the late 80's selling cool records, that I think was upstairs at the Africa centre Covent Garden? I loved the whole centre!!  But when I went back years later it was a trendy fashion shop!! 🙁

Edited by BoomTing
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BoomTing said:

I didn't get to that their Lunnon that early on (looks 70's). Found a place in the late 80's selling cool records, that I think was upstairs at the Africa centre Covent Garden? I loved the whole centre!!  But when I went back years later it was a trendy fashion shop!! 🙁

I was there late 70s early 80s and it moved a few times around Oxford street, then disappeared, another shop was Red Records opposite Brixton station but that disappeared too, there was a shop in Romford called Boogie Times , which sold reggae and house music and it was also a ticket outlet, I met Keith Flint there once , apparently their studio wasn’t far away 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

I was there regularly, it was known as the WAG club 

There was a pub across the road which was up on the first floor - useful for a pre gig beer or for the times you didn't get in 😕

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mykesbass said:

There was a pub across the road which was up on the first floor - useful for a pre gig beer or for the times you didn't get in 😕

Someone suggested we try Heaven club one night, that was interesting 😁

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Someone suggested we try Heaven club one night, that was interesting 😁

I did go to a West End gay club with a gay friend - absolutely fine, no hassle and of course, some great music!

• Like 2

You've all probably already seen this, from 2017 'Roots, Reggae, Rebellion'. If not, it's pretty good at showing in 1hr how history, politics and religion all influenced Reggae.  I'm not religious and I know a lot of people are put off Roots Reggae because of the religious messaging but understanding the context helps put it in perspective - I don't listen to it and feel like I'm particularly being religiously preached to,  more along the lines of hearing political and religious rebellion and optimism for positive change and shifting of power...... 'get up, stand up, stand up for your rights' .

Edited by SumOne
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, SumOne said:

from 2017 'Roots, Reggae, Rebellion'.

Good video 👍,  I don’t get involved in politics , I just like the music, but I’d say most reggae and dub we listen to has a message, Exodus was a massive influence on me ,it’s a great album,  and if you listen to the lyrics in this, it’s definitely telling a story 

• Like 1

The Dubby Space Echo breakdown makes me want to get a Space Echo again (although, I had an RE-20 and Bass is about the only thing that doesn't work very well being put through it).  

Edited by SumOne
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

I was there regularly, it was known as the WAG club 

wardour st is certainly high up on the west end tour guides map ,,

a west end club that was "meant" to be known for cecil gee & crock skin fashion was Gullivers ,, i never went ,, only herd 

think most discos would have a reggae moment in the 70s (80s) tho , alas most discos would also have a rock n roll moment punk rock & basic pop music moments too ;)

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Bean9seventy said:

think most discos would have a reggae moment in the 70s (80s) tho , alas most discos would also have a rock n roll moment punk rock & basic pop music moments too

Yeah none of the clubs were specifically reggae, only one nighters,  it would be different music on different nights, there was some basement reggae clubs scattered around, the only one that was, was the four aces in Dalston, I used to follow Jah Shaka and Sir coxone then too 

54 minutes ago, SumOne said:

Ok this might throw off the feel of the thread a bit, but I'm listening to this and I really dig it. But its giving me a sense of something else, and then I realise its this (at least in my head). Strip back the bassline a heck of alot more, concentrate on the main repetitive phrase slowed down, have the bass boom some more and fast forward a couple decades...at very least, it gave me a reason to listen to this one again :)

OK...back to the old school stuff now....

• Like 2