Why become a member? ×

The Reggae Thread

Reggaebass

4 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Not for me I'm afraid! Each to their own of course, but disco reggae is clearly too refined a taste for my palate. 

I'd you don't like that, then I'll raise the stakes with this :

• Like 1

So maybe nobody else is gonna care about this, but my mind was blown recently!

I had posted up a cover of 'Lady' done by Wayne Wade a couple weeks ago on this thread that I had been listening to for years, and it got me to thinking what else he has. I then stumble across 'Too Experienced'. I was like, hold on, that is a Barrington Levy song (Which I absolutely love!)...but Wayne Wade must predate that, so Barrington's is a cover of his! So I keep searching, and I come across this article:
https://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20111002/ent/ent4.html

Only to realise that they are both covers of a song by Bob Andy from 1970. This may be old news for some, but I was amazed to find all this out!

Just in case it interests anyone, here are 3 version of the same song (or 2 versions and one original). That Barrington version will forever have a special place in my heart from my youth, but it was so cool to find out a little history of the song and hear how different artists did it in slightly different styles.

If you've made it this far reading this, congratulations on listening to my ramblings :P Hope you enjoy the music.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

I used to listen to a lot of snoop and Dre, and when snoop dog changed and went reggae as snoop lion I thought it was going to be great, but I listened to all the albums and I didn’t like one track 

just don't tell Bootsy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, taunton-hobbit said:

sleuthing ,,, the 2nd joint by Eddie Lovette , goes into another fascination within "many" communities of the 1960s ,, that of the Great Great Great Sam Cooke ,, notable sam cooke type vocal harmony's throughout the above tune below

• Like 2

PAMA RECORDS

78 Craven Park Rd, Harlesden, London NW10 4AE.

Three brothers, Harry, Jeffrey and Carl Palmer (who had all emigrated from Jamaica in the 50s and 60s) founded Pama Records, a record shop, label and distributor, in Harrow in 1967 with the aim of bringing Jamaican music to the UK. In 1968 Pama relocated to 78 Craven Park Road and became the main-competitor to Trojan Records.

Pama released records by local artists, Junior English and Delroy Washington (Federation of Reggae Music) however their biggest hit (released on their Unity label) was Max Romeo’s ‘Wet Dream’, despite being banned from UK radio and receiving no airplay it made no.10 in the UK charts in the summer of 1969 selling 250,000 copies. One of Pama’s first releases in 1968 was 'The Champ' by The Mohawks, which would become one of the most sampled tracks in hip hop.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, taunton-hobbit said:

PAMA RECORDS

78 Craven Park Rd, Harlesden, London NW10 4AE.

Three brothers, Harry, Jeffrey and Carl Palmer (who had all emigrated from Jamaica in the 50s and 60s) founded Pama Records, a record shop, label and distributor, in Harrow in 1967 with the aim of bringing Jamaican music to the UK. In 1968 Pama relocated to 78 Craven Park Road and became the main-competitor to Trojan Records.

Pama released records by local artists, Junior English and Delroy Washington (Federation of Reggae Music) however their biggest hit (released on their Unity label) was Max Romeo’s ‘Wet Dream’, despite being banned from UK radio and receiving no airplay it made no.10 in the UK charts in the summer of 1969 selling 250,000 copies. One of Pama’s first releases in 1968 was 'The Champ' by The Mohawks, which would become one of the most sampled tracks in hip hop.

as mentioned previously ,,, jazz is big in reggae ,, now the focus is on Sam Cooke

Pama Label ,, great music ,, thanks for the info

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tandro said:

If you've made it this far reading this, congratulations on listening to my ramblings

It’s not ramblings Tandro , I do it all the time , it’s great to research the origins of the tracks , I was playing the Bassline to trinity a while back and realised I had 4 different versions on various albums, it’s known as the cuss cuss riddim , which led me on a journey to find the original.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, BoomTing said:

For a period In the 80's John Boops song were all the rage -- John Peel  used to play a load with some response songs from Female artists but I can't remember what any of those ones were?

Yeah, I’ve heard lots of versions , it’s trying to remember them all 😁

• Like 1

* Thread Derail*

In the late 60's I was invited to a Philips (records) 'do' to a private uk debut launch for Captain Beefhearts Magic Band. T'were somehere fooking trendy in that Lunnon place (Whisky a Go Go ? Dunno, can't remember)

Squatting down in the middle, in a bluddy kaftan, were that John Peel geezer, who swayed gently while he took in what to me was a dreadful noise - but what do I know?

As you were guys..........

😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2