Why become a member? ×

The Reggae Thread

Reggaebass

4 minutes ago, BoomTing said:

My favourite track. From Reggaebass' favourite band. Puma ❤️

Nice one ☝️ it doesn’t get much better than that, you might like this, mykal roses voice is just great 

• Like 2

Just now, Reggaebass said:

Yes please stew , hope your keeping well 👍

Been a bit rough lately, but I'll survive!

Love that Jackie Mitoo track so much. The bassline is a lesson in hypnotic simplicity 

• Like 1

On 06/05/2021 at 07:46, SumOne said:

Generally speaking, the tone, rhythm/feel, and space between notes are big parts of playing Reggae, doing that while playing Triads is a good starting point. 

There's a thread of Reggae Bass playing guides here:

yeah his a good player ,, my question to the chaps is ? & we have an example in the basschat thread eg "punk bands playing reggae etc ,,

in my book the above can also be interpretative into UK /Funk, Reggae bass players eg who only play or know the top notes of basslines  ,,

this is what i do mainly when jamming & learning bass lines , trying to get a groove structure going "whenever possible, even if its a simple two note bass line , i search for jazz elements not classical music ones mainly

james jamerson type logic & musical mentality via jazz , no fast solos & chords just the occasionally pitched blue note / beat , i plan to do videos all about it

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bean9seventy said:

no fast solos & chords just the occasionally pitched blue note / beat , i plan to do videos all about it

Sounds good Bean, I’ll look forward to seeing it, give us a shout when you’ve done it , I’ve seen your other videos 👍

2 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Came across a track I hadn’t heard today, or the band , it’s a similar rhythm to downpressor man by Peter Tosh , nice mix at 3.40

, nice tune 100%,, sounds like a tune associated the time when studio one started competing with/ against the UK lovers rock genre ,, proving how far / how much Janet Kay influenced the entire scene

btw Carlton sings 1m times better than he plays football ;D ,, the invisible stealth jazz ,, is right there in the vocal harmony ,,

jazz theory v classical music theory by the Coltrane heads

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bean9seventy said:

nice tune 100%,, sounds like a tune associated the time when studio one started competing with/ against the UK lovers rock genre ,

You could be right there, it was released I 1976

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Sounds good Bean, I’ll look forward to seeing it, give us a shout when you’ve done it , I’ve seen your other videos 👍

yeah , i will probably add a reggae / basschat subject in the videos & possibly talk / review Don Chandler ,, not concentrating reggae, instead looking at how James Jamerson type jazz bass makes us hear bass lines & arrive at different notes ,, against what the top notes of any bass line would suggest,, it simple stuff anyone can learn ,, yet transforms knowledge of bass  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Bean9seventy said:

thought it was 1979

I think you’re right , a few different sites are saying different dates

The group had several Studio One recorded hits in Jamaica, most notably "Love me Forever" in 1968.

Carlton and The Shoes
Genres Reggae
Labels Studio One

Members Carlton Manning
Donald Manning
Lynford Manning
Alexander Henry

The group is led by Carlton Manning, and the line-up was originally completed by his younger brothers Donald and Lynford (both members of The Abyssinians), 

Edited by Reggaebass
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

I think you’re right , a few different sites are saying different dates

The group had several Studio One recorded hits in Jamaica, most notably "Love me Forever" in 1968.

Carlton and The Shoes
Genres Reggae
Labels Studio One

Members Carlton Manning
Donald Manning
Lynford Manning
Alexander Henry

The group is led by Carlton Manning, and the line-up was originally completed by his younger brothers Donald and Lynford (both members of The Abyssinians), 

nice , as a disco man , i notice somethings , mainly from the 1960s , 1970s reggae is more is popular yet more popular means we just followed its norm , seen as the latest slow dance thing by then , nice music ,, yet as herbs & veg kicks in the early 80s ,, music demand changed, into who is big about ya & big on the bass ;D

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bean9seventy said:

nice , as a disco man , i notice somethings , mainly from the 1960s , 1970s reggae is more is popular yet more popular means we just followed its norm , seen as the latest slow dance thing by then , nice music ,, yet as herbs & veg kicks in the early 80s ,, music demand changed, into who is big about ya & big on the bass ;D

i had to google studio one ,, i couldn't believe it, as i said a few pages back , he had a lot of jazz records ,, i herd talk about excitable pop music , tho, jazz guys drifted towards American Go Go  yet supported the pop cats

think everyone was taken away by chubby checkers twist ,, the twist as an instrumental is very Go Go  ,, remembering pop

• Like 1

Not Reggae music but related - this book is good (not a short read though). Marlon James' 'A brief History of seven killings'. Its fiction, but tied in with Bob Marley and 70s Jamaican politics.

Any other Reggae (or reggae influenced) book recommendations? 

"Marlon James says that when he was writing A Brief History of Seven Killings, he wanted it to be “a novel that would be driven only by voice”. The book may tell the story of the attempted assassination of Bob Marley in 1976, but it’s the people around the star who dominate the narrative.

As Carolyn Kellogg wrote in the LA Times: “There are patois-speaking street thugs, CIA operatives, Jamaican gang leaders, a magazine writer, a displeased ghost, an American hitman, and a woman who slept with the singer just that once.” And that’s just the start. There are almost a dozen competing voices all offering different viewpoints, opinions, and motivations, all speaking in varying forms of English, from US governmental formality to Jamaican poetry and slang."

Screenshot_20210508-181718_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Edited by SumOne
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Nice version of the big ship rhythm here, and another by Eek a mouse 

from times when bass went big about that ,, bass charges the room , years later became drum & bass , folks forget ,electronic steppers