Why become a member? ×

The Reggae Thread

Reggaebass

5 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

1978 , nice Bassline 

not known personally for reggae on bass ,, tho these days if i should jam to reggae i will automatically try to turn the bass to find "blue notes ? ,, & groove towards jazz ,, & get a more dated sound

its the James Jamerson principle of relying on Groove more than knowing the exact fretted Top Notes , swinging & pitching notes along jazz ,,

not big solos, & charming scales,  just the odd single blue note ,, maybe a blue beat ? ,, so yeah jazz can be simple as a single note pitched ,, besides most chaps like music that way  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bean9seventy said:

not known personally for reggae on bass ,, tho these days if i should jam to reggae i will automatically try to turn the bass to find "blue notes ? ,, & groove towards jazz ,, & get a more dated sound

its the James Jamerson principle of relying on Groove more than knowing the exact fretted Top Notes , swinging & pitching notes along jazz ,,

not big solos, & charming scales,  just the odd single blue note ,, maybe a blue beat ? ,, so yeah jazz can be simple as a single note pitched ,, besides most chaps like music that way  

Generally speaking, the tone, rhythm/feel, and space between notes are big parts of playing Reggae, doing that while playing Triads is a good starting point. 

There's a thread of Reggae Bass playing guides here:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bean9seventy said:

not big solos, & charming scales, 

For me bean it’s all about leaving space, sometimes less is more, if you want a driving bassline, this one by Robbie is superb, one of my favourite tunes,  it’s not the easiest to play 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frank Blank said:

I know it isn't reggae, not even music but The Ogmios School of Zen Driving Motoring just belongs on here somehow...

That was surreal, yet strangely relaxing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SumOne said:

UB40 article https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/may/06/ub40-reggae-back-mi5-were-tapping-our-phones

I've ways written them off but should probably give their first albums a listen

Signing off, was imo their best album, I’ve still got it from day 1, if you get a chance watch a documentary called Promises and Lies , there’s some revealing stories on it 🙂

• Thanks 1

The Labella Flatwounds arrived today and lasted all of an hour on my Bass (they sound good for Reggae but I now realise I just don't like the feel of any flatwounds). So if anyone wants some on the cheap I've put them for sale here:

• Sad 1

Not sure if this has been posted (sorry it’s a long thread) but here is a great instructional video from a Reading based season bassist Don Chandler. There is a whole series of these, really well paced, clearly recorded, very insightful. 
As a real novice to this genre I found this a great intro, there’s so much you can do with only a few notes! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1