Why become a member? ×

The Reggae Thread

Reggaebass

I listened to an album I haven’t heard for quite a while, it’s Wanted Dead or Alive by Peter Tosh, this track has a great Bassline by Robbie Shakespeare with little subtle changes 

and this has a funky feel about it with Gwen Guthrie on vocals 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Weather/seasons really affect my mood and listening habits, I'm glad summer is on the way - once the sun starts shining I pretty much 100% listen to Reggae/Dub and Funk. In winter I still listen to it but tends to be the moodier stuff, and stuff like like Dub Techno, DnB, Dubstep, and Stoner rock get more of a look-in. There's a running theme of it all being being Bass driven and and I guess psychedelic (not in the sitar and chanting way, more in the hypnotic/atmospheric mood building type of way). 

Right now, this is the soundtrack to me zoning out and failing to get on with my work:

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, SumOne said:

Right now, this is the soundtrack to me zoning out and failing to get on with my work:

Nothing wrong with that SumOne, I do it all day 😁, that’s a great version, concrete jungle is among my favourite tracks, not the easiest to play, great bassline 👍

• Like 1

Related to this thread but a side note:

The drummer half of my rhythm section moved abroad, now practice rooms are re-opening I'm keen to get playing at volume and with humans again. So if anyone knows of a Reggae/Dub/Ska drummer that wants to do some jam sessions, or if there's a band in need of a Bass player then give me a shout.  I'm west London based.

I'll put this in Musicians Wanted/Bassists available section too but that only seems to have about 3 posts a year!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

The new one from Don chandler @donstrumental, great bassline this one and well explained , nice one don

Don's a great teacher. I love his videos. Always so clear and well explained. I struggle to play authentic reggae bass because I clutter things up too much. I find Don's advice very helpful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, taunton-hobbit said:

We did this about a week ago?

Spanishtonians did the original ska, but this version is (I think) by Keith and Tex -

Thanks I must be losing it 🙄, I was looking at 6.30 this morning, I need more coffee 🙂

49 minutes ago, taunton-hobbit said:

We did this about a week ago?

43 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Thanks I must be losing it 🙄, I was looking at 6.30 this morning, I need more coffee 🙂

Echoing what you posted before? I thought I was in the dub version of the Reggae Thread for a minute!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ok so I’m back on track now 🙂, this is a great recording of Crazy Baldhead  at the rainbow in 1977 , I like playing this one, Aston really varies the bassline with subtle changes throughout the song, especially at 4.22 and 6.34 

• Like 2

On 22/04/2021 at 11:52, Reggaebass said:

The new one from Don chandler @donstrumental, great bassline this one and well explained , nice one don ☝️

Familyman = Reggae Bass Ninja! Yeah, he's definitely unpredictable, can casually listen to his baselines and think I've got them simple enough - but then try to play exactly like Familyman and realise there are loads of unpredictable slight variations that make it really tricky. 

• Like 1

Cool, I did not know this thread existed. Brings me back to the reason I fell in love with bass in the first place, dub. I can vaguely remember when I used to go to my aunt's place when I was very young and she would have these ole' school reggae vinyls playing and I just did not get the vibe then...it always used to make me feel sleepy :P

But then in later years when dub/dancehall was a big thing in my youth and getting more exposure to that and reggae...the hypnotism and rhythm got you.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Tandro said:

Cool, I did not know this thread existed. Brings me back to the reason I fell in love with bass in the first place, dub. I can vaguely remember when I used to go to my aunt's place when I was very young and she would have these ole' school reggae vinyls playing and I just did not get the vibe then...it always used to make me feel sleepy :P

But then in later years when dub/dancehall was a big thing in my youth and getting more exposure to that and reggae...the hypnotism and rhythm got you.

Part of the reason I love Reggae and Dub is that it can seem sleepy and relaxing in some situations but the exact same tune played loud on a soundsystem can also sound really energetic and dancable. And the same tunes can also sound funky and fun while while also having serious political messages.  Someone like Burning Spear does the contradictory relaxed/energetic happy/bittersweet thing amazingly well. 

• Like 2

Fuh real dude. Man, I have not listened to Burning Spear in a long time....time to hit up some youtube :)

I would also dig some remakes. Like this one. Personally, I really like the original song even without the reggae vibes. But this reggae version just always had me wanting to dance with my lady...just puts me in a place (sorry if this was also dropped in this thread, no way I can go through the entire thread for now to see what was posted)...play this on a long drive to the beach, or at volume on a beautiful chilled Sunday morning....yesss....

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, SumOne said:

Someone like Burning Spear does the contradictory relaxed/energetic happy/bittersweet thing amazingly well

Another band that springs to mind with that description is Third World , if you listen to some of their albums they’ve got everything going on, especially, journey to Addis,  I remember when these came out, the first one is still probably one of my favourites, great bassline 

and this is just timeless 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Tandro said:

dropped in this thread, no way I can go through the entire thread for now to see what was posted)...play this on a long drive to the beach, or at volume on a beautiful chilled Sunday morning....yesss....

You know what Tandro, I don’t think we’ve had that one, great tune, nice one ☝️ 

• Like 2

On 21/04/2021 at 18:18, Reggaebass said:

I listened to an album I haven’t heard for quite a while, it’s Wanted Dead or Alive by Peter Tosh, this track has a great Bassline by Robbie Shakespeare with little subtle changes 

and this has a funky feel about it with Gwen Guthrie on vocals 

Nice tunes! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SumOne said:

Perhaps my favourite Reggae album of 2020: 

Yeah , I’ve just had a flick through and it sounds good , there’s some different stuff on their site too , I’ll explore it more when I get home, I like this one 

• Like 2