Why become a member? ×

The Reggae Thread

Reggaebass

I’ve been following  Linval Thompson since the early 80s , and he’s still got it, he’s about 66 now,   there’s some nice bass playing here at sunsplash 2019, looks like the bass player is  playing a Marcus Miller jazz through an Ampeg rig (not sure who he is).   , can’t stop natty dread again at 21.08 sounds great 

• Like 1

@Nail Soup if you want to browse some different styles of reggae have a look (if you haven’t already) at irie ites site , they are a french studio/ record label , they’ve recorded so many artists , and there’s a lot of synth Basslines used on lots of their tracks, let me know what you think 👍

• Like 3

Dubstep at it's dubby best (before the agro screechy stuff took over what everyone associates with the genre....which, perhaps ironically- was also pioneered by Coki with 'Spongebob'). 

Edited by SumOne
  • Like 2

On 10/01/2020 at 14:09, Reggaebass said:

I just thought I’d start a general reggae thread where anything reggae or ska related can be  posted , like videos , events,  news , techniques, equipment,  anything your working on , or just about anything really 🙂

I started bass lessons when I was about 15 and was taught by a blues bassist , but I quickly found out that reggae was my passion, so I was playing blues and reggae, this was one of the first tunes I played ,  

This one's called rollin. No lyrics recorded yet.

Calle Royale

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19JpGwklnKSQPOeWCneA_0XvOe662_d6I/view?usp=drivesdk

Edited by JeezyMcNuggles
  • Like 1

On 10/01/2020 at 14:09, Reggaebass said:

I just thought I’d start a general reggae thread where anything reggae or ska related can be  posted , like videos , events,  news , techniques, equipment,  anything your working on , or just about anything really 🙂

I started bass lessons when I was about 15 and was taught by a blues bassist , but I quickly found out that reggae was my passion, so I was playing blues and reggae, this was one of the first tunes I played ,  

Here's 1 more. Lyrics are being recorded right now actually, but not finished yet.

The video isn't 100% perfect, but it's still pretty cherry regardless. I'm not that picky :)

Edited by JeezyMcNuggles
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Fishman said:

Which is best?

love the symbol at the start of the second one

Freddy was a very underrated artist imo, he had a great voice, They are both really good, I prefer the vocals on the first one and the Bassline on the second one , there’s a little bit of info here from Reggae Collector you might find interesting 🙂

1EEC0F67-C254-4E67-AE6F-12C1E5B92290.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks man, nice piece that sums things up perfectly – I love all that mis-spelling of artists names, always makes me wonder what the heck was going on 

I agree with you about the bass on the second one – I'm sure my vinyl copy from decades ago doesn't have that cymbal at the start, will have to dig it out and check 🙃

• Like 1

On 08/03/2021 at 18:39, Reggaebass said:

@Nail Soup if you want to browse some different styles of reggae have a look (if you haven’t already) at irie ites site , they are a french studio/ record label , they’ve recorded so many artists , and there’s a lot of synth Basslines used on lots of their tracks, let me know what you think 👍

Thanks for the tip, finally got around to following up!

I found the Irie Ites site on Bandcamp.... some great stuff there, here's a couple which caught my ear:

KING KONG - REPATRIATION

General Levy dub murda

• Like 1

I've just discovered Throttle Elevator Music, they're definitely not a reggae band, more of a jazz group that crosses into other genres.

Anyway just heard this on the 'Emergency Exit' album and really liked it.

Edited by Cato
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, BoomTing said:

Wow like that, not heard Him before, thanks for the introduction

he is pretty new to me too!!

check out his studio work, i think its exceptional! i particularly enjoyed his 2016 album  "love overflowing" today.

• Thanks 1