Why become a member? ×

The Reggae Thread

Reggaebass

10 minutes ago, stewblack said:

It's a Gregory Isaacs kind of day today. First discovered him in the early 80s when a mate put Night Nurse on a mix tape for me. What a voice! 

IMG_20210115_112147.jpg

Night Nurse one of the greatest of all time - not greatest Reggae, just greatest.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mykesbass said:

Night Nurse one of the greatest of all time - not greatest Reggae, just greatest.

Fond memories of that tune being on the jukebox in a pub in Stratford, east London, it cost me a lot of money, I played it non stop  😁

• Haha 1

This looks worth a listen: Don Letts presents the story of King Tubby on Radio 4 Thursday 21st at 11.30.

BBC Radio 4 - Dub Revolution: The Story of King Tubby

Available to listen on BBC sounds afterwards of course!

Here's the blurb:

28 January 2021 would have been legendary sound engineer King Tubby’s 80th birthday. The sonic experiments he created in his tiny studio in the ghettos of Kingston Jamaica during the early seventies helped create a genre that’s now part of the very fabric of contemporary music – Dub.

Tubby’s productions pre-empted today’s remix culture, were instrumental in the creation of rap an inspired an eclectic mix of artists from Massive Attack to Primal Scream. Dub went on to inform Jungle, Rave,Techno, Ambient right up to Grime in the 21st century.

Don Letts celebrates the godfather of Dub, with contributions from Dennis Bovell, Adrian Sherwood, Hollie Cook and Mad Professor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

5 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

A new track here from Owen Knibbs who’s been around for a long while, but you don’t hear about him much, skip the intro to 1.02 , nice Bassline to this, I’m going to steal it, I make it F C G Bb 

Real good. New Classic! We need more warriors!

• Like 1

Hey folks, I must have skipped over this thread somehow. There's loads of great stuff here!! I've recently been learning a few Bob Marley & The Wailers tunes.. so far Could You Be Loved, Is This Love, Redemption Song, Three Little Birds and Waiting In Vain. I've been checking out some videos and documentaries to see how Aston Barrett plays.. so far advice I've got has been play with the right hand up by the fretboard and roll back the tone to get  a fatter sound. Are there any other tips from folks in the know please? I posted this a few days ago on the Show Us Your Playing thread.. hope it's ok to post again here, it just shows where I'm at so far with the technique and sound. I've been playing bass for just over a year and a half now, still getting the basics together so appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

Caroline

• Like 5

Seeing Monty Alexander mentioned a while back prompts me to share an idea for a tune that would make a great ska number .
Monty has made an album of ska/reggae arrangements of Thelonious Monk tunes , ...

... so why not a Skatalites type treatment of Kojo No Tsuki ( Japanese Folk Song ) , the tune that  Monk included on Straight , No Chaser .

- Bass player Larry Gales quotes the head at the end of his solo at 11:40  :  ( imagine a ska version segueing into the Poirot Theme . )

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

I think @Reggaebass may have a link to part #2

Thanks Ricky 👍, Hi caz, welcome to the reggae thread, there’s some great tips in the Devon Bradshaw videos, I saw your video, great choice and nice work 👍, there’s some really good  music contributions here and @Mykesbass has kindly put them on Spotify maybe he could re post the link . Also I think @donstrumentalwould help with any  questions you would like to ask about playing reggae  🙂

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ricky 4000 said:

If you've not seen it, this is a nice video from Devon Bradshaw and Donovan Miller:

Oh yeah I did stumble across this yesterday on youtube funnily enough, but didn't see the 2nd part so will check that out. I noticed he talks about the sweet spot for the right hand to be a bit further back from the fretboard than it looks like Aston Barrett plays it.

2 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Hi caz, welcome to the reggae thread,

Thanks for the warm welcome Reggaebass, I'll look forward to going through this and checking out the music posted up here.

4 hours ago, DaveFry said:

Seeing Monty Alexander mentioned a while back prompts me to share an idea for a tune that would make a great ska number .
Monty has made an album of ska/reggae arrangements of Thelonious Monk tunes , ...

Definitely going to check this album out. I love Monty's trio and had the privilege to support them at Cadogan Hall a couple of years ago (as a drummer, not bassist!). Great band - I especially love Jason Brown's playing on kit.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Thanks Ricky 👍, Hi caz, welcome to the reggae thread, there’s some great tips in the Devon Bradshaw videos, I saw your video, great choice and nice work 👍, there’s some really good  music contributions here and @Mykesbass has kindly put them on Spotify maybe he could re post the link . Also I think @donstrumentalwould help with any  questions you would like to ask about playing reggae  🙂

Here you go Caz - the idea was just one song per artist but it wasn't a hard and fast rule, just a good place to get some ideas. Turned into a fairly substantial playlist!

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/59RhYT5dLPwboS9u3njL4S?si=lVSyQRB2QXS_y7rlFfRCMA

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Caz said:

Oh yeah I did stumble across this yesterday on youtube funnily enough, but didn't see the 2nd part so will check that out. I noticed he talks about the sweet spot for the right hand to be a bit further back from the fretboard than it looks like Aston Barrett plays it.

I suppose there are many factors involved. 🙂

I read somewhere that Aston Barrett uses a 5 string set on his 4 string Jazz bass, discarding the thin one.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

I read somewhere that Aston Barrett uses a 5 string set on his 4 string Jazz bass, discarding the thin one.

There’s a bit of info about Aston here I remember reading from notreble 🙂https://www.notreble.com/buzz/2014/06/26/legend-an-interview-with-aston-family-man-barrett/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Do you know if he still tunes it EADG, or does he drop it to Eb or D? Or some otherworldly tuning? TIA

2 hours ago, TheMaartian said:

Do you know if he still tunes it EADG, or does he drop it to Eb or D? Or some otherworldly tuning? TIA

Hrm, well I don't know, but if the Fender is still his 'main bass' for playing all the Wailers stuff -- I assume standard tuning.

Along with incredibly high string tension from those over-fat Fender flats.

Maybe that's the key. 😃

• Like 1