Why become a member? ×

The Reggae Thread

Reggaebass

I bought the Specials Encore a few months back. It somehow got put in a pile and completely forgotten, so I dug it out this evening and stuck it on in the car. Not what I was expecting at all, but all the better for it. A really mature sounding album, with very some Blockhead like funk, some very strong Fun Boy Three influence (great reworking of Lunatics) and some right on politics 👊🏼

Would have chosen Vote for Me but they haven't credited Ernest Ranglin for th eobvious borrow, so instead, another of the more reggae styled tracks, Embarrased By You. Whole album definitely worth a listen.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

New song: Dub Pistols - Go Tell Your Friends ft. Horseman

I don’t know anything about the dub pistols, I’ll have a listen to their stuff, that’s a good tune, this one sounds familiar but I don’t know where from 

27 minutes ago, taunton-hobbit said:

I know the riddim to Bankrobber, but I'm not getting there, tink it's quite old?

(I'll keep straining the brain)

😎

Do you think it Would  have been mikey dread ?, only I vaguely remember a dub version and it wasn’t this 🙂

Edited by Reggaebass

On 16/10/2020 at 18:14, taunton-hobbit said:

'This' might be, but the original riddim track it's not ................

😎

Something in my head is muttering 'Lee Perry' ?

Try this? it's certainly the right riddim...........

Think it might be this (after an hour & half of going through my reggae tracks) ....

Edited by taunton-hobbit
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, taunton-hobbit said:

Try this? it's certainly the right riddim...........

Think it might be this (after an hour & half of going through my reggae tracks) ....

Nice work mr t☝️, I had a few hours myself going through lots of options , I thought it might have been a roots radics Bassline but no luck, but I did find some good tunes while I was looking, some of the riffs on equal rights are definitely the same , I didn’t think of Prince far I 🙂

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just been listening to Don Letts 6music show from Sunday. 

It was billed as dub special, but as is often the case it was all types of reggae, not just dub. It annoys me a bit when people use dub as a term for reggae.... but maybe I should get out more!

Anyway, here's my pick from the first hour:

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

It was billed as dub special, but as is often the case it was all types of reggae, not just dub. It annoys me a bit when people use dub as a term for reggae.... but maybe I should get out more!

I should get out more as well then, I find tracks I like few and far between on the aforementioned show, my tastes obviously.

11 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

Loving that nail soup, great riddim and her voice is so good, I couldn’t help thinking it sounded familiar, and after a bit of digging it seems to be a version of this 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

Wow, the voice is very close to Grace Slick's original. 

I won't post it here as it isn't reggae, but George Benson did a fabulous version of this song before he was really famous. Well worth checking out.

• Like 1

I don’t think I’ve posted these before, a couple of classics from Sugar Minott 

and anyone who used to listen to Rodigan  in the 80s will recognise this one, it’s the album mix, it was the theme tune to his show , nice version at 3.36

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Good  bit of studio footage here and Devon Bradshaw playing a sweet little Bassline 

Love the Nescafe-logo'd shirt!

Reminds me of the best instant coffee I ever had...Iscafe by Nescafe. Had it in '72 in Belize when it was still the British Honduras. Big jar. Very pale, fine powder. Looked pretty unappetizing. But holy gobsmacks, it was delicious!

That was an early life lesson, heavily reinforced by all of those truly nasty-tasting "coffee crystals" instants that followed on. They put all of their effort into making it look like coffee while still dry.

Sometimes, you just gotta get away from the way something looks. Like the percebes in Bilbao! FA-BO-LAS.

percebes-goose-barnacles-rare-unusual-se

• Like 1