Why become a member? ×

The Reggae Thread

Reggaebass

On 01/07/2020 at 21:35, Reggaebass said:

I remember that well ☝️, im pretty sure the original song was , I’m still in love with you boy,      but  I’m not sure who did the very original , here’s the  marcia aitken version , and Alton Ellis version, it’s a great Bassline 🙂

You can't keep a great track down @molan - little bit of a conversation on this one and Althea & Donna a couple of months back. Always good to hear again though.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, molan said:

I spent much of my mid/late teens listening to roots and dub. 

Moved to London in ‘78 and spent a huge chunk of my student grant in Daddy Kool’s. 

Much of the best stuff on import was £4.50 for a rare 12”. To put this into perspective my first job paid about £50 a week before tax so just one single was equivalent to half a days wages 🙈

I still have them all though!

Here’s a typical example:

Thanks, that’s a great one I haven’t heard in years👍  Daddy Kool records has brought back some great memories, I used to go there every Saturday On the central line, I remember the sign very well , and I think it moved further up the road at some stage 🙂

33093DD6-C92C-487F-8E2B-6E4C67D7BE3B.jpeg

E852D94B-EEA2-4EF0-A28D-B15CD77A7FA2.jpeg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Thanks, that’s a great one I haven’t heard in years👍  Daddy Kool records has brought back some great memories, I used to go there every Saturday On the central line, I remember the sign very well , and I think it moved further up the road at some stage 🙂

I think it was originally in Hanway Street. Just north of Oxford Street near Tottenham Court road Station. That was my downfall really as my Uni was just 10 minutes walk away. 

Somewhat spookily I just read the article that showed those pictures and someone mentions going to Hanway Street & buying African Dub Chapter III in 1978 as it had just come out. They were playing it in the shop & I asked what it was. I recognised Dennis Brown's voice but not the dubby version that was being played

The guy behind the counter said he'd only tell me if I agreed to buy one - was never sure how serious he was, lol. Anyway, I said OK and walked away with a copy 'fresh off the boat'  I think it was my first purchase there :)

Of course, what I didn't realise was everything they played on the shop's sound system sounded bloody marvellous - cost me a small fortune that place!

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, molan said:

I think it was originally in Hanway Street. Just north of Oxford Street near Tottenham Court road Station. That was my downfall really as my Uni was just 10 minutes walk away. 

Somewhat spookily I just read the article that showed those pictures and someone mentions going to Hanway Street & buying African Dub Chapter III in 1978 as it had just come out. They were playing it in the shop & I asked what it was. I recognised Dennis Brown's voice but not the dubby version that was being played

The guy behind the counter said he'd only tell me if I agreed to buy one - was never sure how serious he was, lol. Anyway, I said OK and walked away with a copy 'fresh off the boat'  I think it was my first purchase there :)

Of course, what I didn't realise was everything they played on the shop's sound system sounded bloody marvellous - cost me a small fortune that place!

Love that Bassline, 

And again here by Jacob miller 1976 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Love that Bassline, 

I have this album & the 12" as well. I always wish it was longer but it is 2:33 of loveliness!

The 12" adds nothing to the album version - maybe a bit thumpier in the low end but not worth the money I paid for it though.

Maybe I was feeling a little Dennis Brown at the time. . .

I have the original import of this as well :)

Prefer this one though:

I think this might have been my first 12" reggae purchase. Not sure though, it may have been this:

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, meterman said:

Yes I know it's Monday, but listen to "Friday" 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLAN6NOPCxA

- from "Pachyman At The Control" a great recent reggae record.

Not sure why the video won't embed?? Anyway, it's ace 😎

Thanks meterman, I’ve never heard of him, sounds good  I must investigate further 👍

• Like 1

5 hours ago, meterman said:

Yes I know it's Monday, but listen to "Friday" 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLAN6NOPCxA

- from "Pachyman At The Control" a great recent reggae record.

Not sure why the video won't embed?? Anyway, it's ace 😎

Like it, definitely my bag.... any idea if he's a dubbing up existing songs or recording from scratch or what?

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

Good day today..... day off work, long country/canal cycle ride... dinner on the canal bank followed by a canal-side lie down in the sun with Augustus Pablo in the earphones 😀.

Great way to spend the day ☝️   , back in the Sony Walkman days I actually wore out a tape of  Original Rockers by Pablo whilst travelling back and forth to London on the train🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nail Soup said:

Like it, definitely my bag.... any idea if he's a dubbing up existing songs or recording from scratch or what?

He's got a band and some session players, I've seen videos of him in the studio, he's defo the real deal. He had an album out last year that was a little too authentically lo-fi fo my ears but it's all really good stuff 👍

"Live at the Lyceum - 1975" has always been my favorite Bob Marley and the Wailers  album. A band at the top of their game and there's a dynamism and energy studio recordings don't capture. Just love it.

Edited by durhamboy
correction
  • Like 1

On 02/07/2020 at 13:06, Nail Soup said:

I guess the most notable would have been Police and Thieves by the Clash.

Lee Perry apparently gave his verdict: "They ruined it" :(

That’s not true actually. He loved what they were doing. They were the only white band that had a picture on the wall in his studio. It was through their relationship with Perry that the Clash met with Bob Marley and the result was the song Punky Reggae party in which The Clash, The Damned and The Jam are all namechecked

Jon

10 hours ago, Useless amateur said:

That’s not true actually. He loved what they were doing. They were the only white band that had a picture on the wall in his studio. It was through their relationship with Perry that the Clash met with Bob Marley and the result was the song Punky Reggae party in which The Clash, The Damned and The Jam are all namechecked

Jon

Happy to be wrong, but I got that from Wikipedia (ok, I know!) where it had the reference source as  Katz, David (2006) People Funny Boy: The Genius of Lee "Scratch" Perry,

Quote: 'Perry considered that the Clash had "ruined" the song with their version, but later agreed to work with the band nonetheless'

Perry is quite an eccentric character, and it's quite possible he said that and went on to love the Clash / put up a photo.

There a few references to the "ruined" comment online, often followed by something like "he still put a photo up".