Why become a member? ×

The Reggae Thread

Reggaebass

5 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

I had a 70s disco reggae thing going on today Third World leading, inevitably, to Eddy Grant...

...not that it matters but I don’t even know if it is reggae. I know I love that squelchy electronic sound in this song.

You probably remember this one aswell frank 

1 minute ago, Duarte said:

Sadly today Toots Hibbert passed away.

I am heartbroken.

Yes, was very sad when I saw this, especially having just heard him last weekend on Radcliffe & Maconie, and with a new album out. My nephew played trumpet for him a couple of times, and Toots appeared on his band's album. He's going to be very upset when he hears.

• Sad 1

I’ve been listening to the album,  Moving on by Bitty McLean all week in the car , as I’m learning some of the Basslines , it really is a great album , and Robbie Shakespeare’s playing on this one is superb, here’s a few tracks ☝️

and this is the first  track 

• Like 1

I spent much of my mid/late teens listening to roots and dub. 

Moved to London in ‘78 and spent a huge chunk of my student grant in Daddy Kool’s. 

Much of the best stuff on import was £4.50 for a rare 12”. To put this into perspective my first job paid about £50 a week before tax so just one single was equivalent to half a days wages 🙈

I still have them all though!

Here’s a typical example:

• Like 5