Why become a member? ×

The Reggae Thread

Reggaebass

4 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

Family Man is also shown playing through an Acoustic 370/301 set up - seemingly the rig of choice for some R and B or a reggae players of the period (I had one of these but not till the late 70s - mine originated with the band Mud)! 

On the reggae programme I watched, the guy in Steel Pulse is shown playing a very smart natural finish Stingray

I’m gonna watch it again drT, and have a closer look at their equipment, I didn’t notice the stingray 🙂

55 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

Dave Rodigan is being interviewed by Steve Lamaq in the last hour of his show today (that will be 6 to 7 UK time) 6 Music.

According to the trailer we can expect some discussion about the development of reggae etc to the current today.

David rodigans knowledge on reggae is astounding, I remember listening to him and Tony Williams around 1977 , they had a program called reggae rockers, then David had his own show rodigans reggae. He also used to practically live in studio one in Jamaica .

Edited by Reggaebass
  • Like 1

On 03/09/2020 at 16:07, Nail Soup said:

Dave Rodigan is being interviewed by Steve Lamaq in the last hour of his show today (that will be 6 to 7 UK time) 6 Music.

According to the trailer we can expect some discussion about the development of reggae etc to the current today.

Annoyingly I was driving through a very poor reception area when this was on. The snatches I heard seemed really good.Rodigan obviously knows his stuff so well, and Lamaq was genuinely interested.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mykesbass said:

Annoyingly I was driving through a very poor reception area when this was on. The snatches I heard seemed really good.Rodigan obviously knows his stuff so well, and Lamaq was genuinely interested.

I listened on BBC Sounds app.... still available for about 4 weeks 😉.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mykesbass said:

Such a simple bass line to copy, but the thought process to come up with it, and then to get the feel right, that's where the mastery is at! Sly & Robbie with Grace Jones.

Love Grace Jones' music. This one has more notes:

😎

Edited by Ricky 4000
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

The wailers recent album has been getting some poor reviews on some reggae sites, so I listened to the whole album last night, Aston Barrett jr and Julian Marley are on it , this is the only track that I really liked.

Enjoyed that, thanks for posting 👍

2 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

John Holt  & Roots Radics Band - Police in Helicopter

Enjoyed this as well. Cheers! 👍

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mykesbass said:

Such a simple bass line to sopy, but the thought process to come up with it, and then to get the feel right, that's where the mastery is at! Sly & Robbie with Grace Jones.

Great example of a reggae-based track from a non reggae artist. Well OK she did have establised reggae musicians as collaborators!

She has fantastic style/persona too!

3 hours ago, Duarte said:

My new COVID style video. Took months to organise!! Ska counts ;)

Nice - worth the effort it must havbe too to bring that lot together.

Love the 'solo' at 1.25ish...what is that instrument?

on Edit: I guess its an Erhu (just read the credits :$!)

Edited by Nail Soup
correction

35 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

Great example of a reggae-based track from a non reggae artist. Well OK she did have establised reggae musicians as collaborators!

Doesn’t sound miles away from the Pretenders origInal. 
Credit to the late Pete Farndon...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

She did a pretty good job in Conan The Destroyer. They were filming around Puerto Vallarta when I was staying there in the early '80s. I saw Schwarzenegger with the long hair once, but never [sob] Grace.

51XcxX6BjJL._AC_SY445_.jpg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TheMaartian said:

She did a pretty good job in Conan The Destroyer. They were filming around Puerto Vallarta when I was staying there in the early '80s. I saw Schwarzenegger with the long hair once, but never [sob] Grace.

51XcxX6BjJL._AC_SY445_.jpg

She was May Day in , James Bond, A view to a kill , the other day 🙂

• Like 1