Why become a member? ×

The Reggae Thread

Reggaebass

1 hour ago, Raslee said:

Love this album:

An underviewed gem!

Q: Is the image in your sig from Ozric Tentacles (one of my all-time favs!)? Or Gong? Gotta be one of the two. Of course, I've been wrong before. For example, I have 3 ex's.

Edited by TheMaartian
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, TheMaartian said:

An underviewed gem!

Q: Is the image in your sig from Ozric Tentacles (one of my all-time favs!)? Or Gong? Gotta be one of the two. Of course, I've been wrong before. For example, I have 3 ex's.

Yes definitely a gem!

It's Ozrics...speaking of which could we get away with this here? This is my usual soundcheck bass line 😂

• Like 3

Ooh yes, that is a nice grove there! Thanks!

One more I find fun to play... I like how he spreads out the silecnces in that specific way... making the 1's heavier by not playing.... and just refrains from playing a lot, just playing whatever he plays with this super heavy authority... reggae as it should be imo ... Excuses for the weird video.... but I liked the sound here :)

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

There’s a nice laid back drum beat on this one lowbelow 🙂

Love it! One man rhythm section! Like Nick Mason said, "a band is drums and bass and assorted novelty instruments". Terrific video editing, too.

• Like 1

On ‎01‎/‎07‎/‎2020 at 21:07, Frank Blank said:

My first introduction to serious reggae this track. The only other reggae or reggae-ish track that I'd heard and liked (loved actually) was Althea & Donna's Uptown Top Ranking, a track I'm still crazy about, which was released in 1977, Cocaine in my Brain was released a year earlier in 76 but I didn't hear it until after Uptown TR. Funnily enough there was, obviously, a lot of Bob Marley around but somehow his utter brilliance alluded me. Then I heard Handsworth Revolution by Steel Pulse and then the first three LKJ albums and suddenly the reggae world opened up in colour... I'm rambling and repeating myself. In short Dillinger - Cocaine in my Brain, very important track for me that.

The Uptown Top Ranking (totally love that song BTW) reminds me of the kebab shop I saw in the Spanish town of Altea.

Well it amused me enough to take a pic anyway!

Altea Doner.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I’m quite an Alborosie fan and there’s some great bass on his albums , this is one of my favourites, 

And this one with alborosie on vocals with Raging Fyah, and Delroy Hamilton on bass, it’s a great one to play 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

The Uptown Top Ranking (totally love that song BTW) reminds me of the kebab shop I saw in the Spanish town of Altea.

Altea Doner.png

That’s brilliant, love it 😄

1 hour ago, Nail Soup said:

Altea Doner.png

Careful though- too many kebabs could give you heart attack.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

Probably my favourite from the Upsetters camp

Good tune, coincidentally last night I was playing the bass to this, it’s a song by max romeo with the upsetters,

and I really like this too with tiken  jah fakoly, and Robbie Shakespeare on bass