Why become a member? ×

The Reggae Thread

Reggaebass

1 hour ago, lowbelow said:

This is from my favourite Bob Marley record... I love it, the vibe is hot! And no sloppy horns ... (but maybe that is a personal thing?)

Great one, There’s so many Marley songs that are good , this is one of my beach tunes 

• Like 1

I have played with some drummers that were really good playing reggae and getting these dub things in there, without any effects, just playing. Now I'd like to show some examples of that to my friend... but it is not that easy to find. There are many examples that have a bit of it, and most with a lot of reverbs and delays... do you guys know any nice examples? I already found this one here in this thread:

Any more suggestions ?

9 minutes ago, redstriper said:

The master.

What a pocket! That had me bobbing my head from the get go and those simple, yet perfectly placed fills made me grin from ear to ear. Quality.

• Like 2

Just now, Nail Soup said:

Dillinger - Cocaine in my Brain

One of my all time raggae faves.

My first introduction to serious reggae this track. The only other reggae or reggae-ish track that I'd heard and liked (loved actually) was Althea & Donna's Uptown Top Ranking, a track I'm still crazy about, which was released in 1977, Cocaine in my Brain was released a year earlier in 76 but I didn't hear it until after Uptown TR. Funnily enough there was, obviously, a lot of Bob Marley around but somehow his utter brilliance alluded me. Then I heard Handsworth Revolution by Steel Pulse and then the first three LKJ albums and suddenly the reggae world opened up in colour... I'm rambling and repeating myself. In short Dillinger - Cocaine in my Brain, very important track for me that.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

Althea & Donna's Uptown Top Ranking,

I remember that well ☝️, im pretty sure the original song was , I’m still in love with you boy,      but  I’m not sure who did the very original , here’s the  marcia aitken version , and Alton Ellis version, it’s a great Bassline 🙂

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I remember that well ☝️, im pretty sure the original song was , I’m still in love with you boy,      but  I’m not sure who did the very original , here’s the  marcia aitken version , and Alton Ellis version, it’s a great Bassline 🙂

Pretty sure it is the Alton Ellis version that is the  original. All of them are great though 👍🏾

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nail Soup said:

Dillinger - Cocaine in my Brain

One of my all time raggae faves.

Fascinating to hear all the different styles on here. This is so close to early 60s RnB/British Blues with the guitar riff.

1 hour ago, Frank Blank said:

My first introduction to serious reggae this track. The only other reggae or reggae-ish track that I'd heard and liked (loved actually) was Althea & Donna's Uptown Top Ranking, a track I'm still crazy about, which was released in 1977, Cocaine in my Brain was released a year earlier in 76 but I didn't hear it until after Uptown TR. Funnily enough there was, obviously, a lot of Bob Marley around but somehow his utter brilliance alluded me. Then I heard Handsworth Revolution by Steel Pulse and then the first three LKJ albums and suddenly the reggae world opened up in colour... I'm rambling and repeating myself. In short Dillinger - Cocaine in my Brain, very important track for me that.

Yes - definite gateway track!

• Like 1

On ‎13‎/‎06‎/‎2020 at 16:40, oakforest5961 said:

In the mid to late '70s punk and reggae became the most unlikely bedfellows. I don't think that any reggae groups covered any punk songs... but there were some notable reggae covers by punk groups. 

I guess the most notable would have been Police and Thieves by the Clash.

Lee Perry apparently gave his verdict: "They ruined it" :(

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nail Soup said:

I guess the most notable would have been Police and Thieves by the Clash.

Lee Perry apparently gave his verdict: "They ruined it" :(

Yes, I like the Clash but theirs is not my favourite version of that song.

• Like 1