Why become a member? ×

The Reggae Thread

Reggaebass

7 hours ago, Duarte said:

Thought you guys would appreciate this - I put together another Ska lockdown video, but recruited the GREAT Larry McDonald for Djembe duties. 

Love it Duarte, mr bongo man adds a nice beat , superb 👍

1 hour ago, Duarte said:

From Bob Marley to Duarte. I think I know which he would describe as career defining! 

I think Larry McDonald did a lot of work with Lee scratch Perry , who I used to listen to a lot back in the day 🙂

36 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I think Larry McDonald did a lot of work with Lee scratch Perry , who I used to listen to a lot back in the day 🙂

He did, and still does! Toots, Gil Scott Heron, the list goes on. Such a legend. 84 years old and switched right on.

• Like 1

Whoah! Tis topic is just a treasure! So many gems in here! Thanx all!

My fav reggaeband must be Alpha Blondy and the Solar System. The former bassplayer, I somehow do not even know his name (maybe you guys know?), is one of my favourites as well... I saw them a few times and it's just awesome.  Just a classic:

Also one of the groups I've been listening a lot to this year, the Congos

And as more of a question... I know the skatalites used to play with a babybass, which I think has an awesome sound for reggae/ska.... do you guys have any other nice examples of bands using babybass ? It has become very popular in cuba again (and salsa in general) but not so much in Jamaica, surprisingly. (Or not?). 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lowbelow said:

Whoah! Tis topic is just a treasure! So many gems in here! Thanx all!

My fav reggaeband must be Alpha Blondy and the Solar System. The former bassplayer, I somehow do not even know his name (maybe you guys know?), is one of my favourites as well... I saw them a few times and it's just awesome.  Just a classic:

Wow, 2.41 to the drop! This is what Stewart Copeland and Honey Dijon were talking about in Copeland's recent documentary (around 2.20 on this clip)

Okay so some googling did result in me finding his name(s) ... and he played on a bunch of recordings! I'll take some time later to check some of it out, because with Alpha Blondy the man is superb, so much power and calmness in those grooves.

https://www.discogs.com/artist/1039283-Abou-Bass?anv=Aboubakar+C.+Aboubbass&filter_anv=1

I play a few of those tunes, just play the line, and keep on repeating it with full focus without slacking or messing it up, it's very meditative. Made some vids on youtube as well, playing so little and maintaining the attention proved to be a good learning experience and a humbling one at that!

• Like 1