Why become a member? ×

The Reggae Thread

Reggaebass

2 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

One of my all time favourite bass lines...

I've got this album in my Amazon Music Slits playlist. Return Of The Giant Slits, indeed!

Reminds me of the artist who creates wine labels for Washington State wines. I met him once, and asked him "why Kung Fu Girl" Riesling?

His answer?

"Because girls and riesling kick a$$!"

msDK-IYlSWaYvGeqEIRUWw_pb_x600.png

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, TheMaartian said:

I've got this album in my Amazon Music Slits playlist. Return Of The Giant Slits, indeed!

Reminds me of the artist who creates wine labels for Washington State wines. I met him once, and asked him "why Kung Fu Girl" Riesling?

His answer?

"Because girls and riesling kick a$$!"

msDK-IYlSWaYvGeqEIRUWw_pb_x600.png

Surely it should be Everybody was Kung Fu Riesling...

• Haha 3

In the mid to late '70s punk and reggae became the most unlikely bedfellows. I don't think that any reggae groups covered any punk songs... but there were some notable reggae covers by punk groups. Here is one of them.

Edited by oakforest5961
  • Like 3

Sunday reggae thread update time!

From Brazil, Buena Onda Reggae Club:

and from darn sarf, The Skints. A band I was in supported them once and they were brilliant live, defo want to see them again:

and a bit of an old school UK favourite on Greensleeves, Reggae Regular "It's Coming", the flipside of "Black Star Liner". Always loved the bass on this, he's pretty much freestyling it all the way through. Around 3:01 when the bass comes back in after a drop out it makes me smile every time:

Enjoy, folks :)

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, meterman said:

the flipside of "Black Star Liner"

I’ve still go this on vinyl, I bought it from a reggae music stall in petticoat lane when it came out, it was roundabout the time I bought this 🙂

• Like 2

Just now, meterman said:

@Reggaebass Fred Locks, nice one!

My local reggae vinyl shop was Dub Vendor in Ladbroke Grove. Was a shame when it left the area, I reckon that's when Notting Hill went Down Hill after that!

I’m guessing you might have also shopped in Red Records in Brixton, I used to go there every Saturday morning 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I’m guessing you might have also shopped in Red Records in Brixton, I used to go there every Saturday morning 

I visited there infrequently, was disappointed to find it closed down. London's been going that way for ages. :(

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, taunton-hobbit said:

Anyone on here remember Neville Musical Enchanter sound system?

Big in North London in the 70's, I heard Neville got shot in USA?

😎

I can’t say I knew that one , but I was in an East London sound system called  excelsior chant , and a few of the members went on to play with jah Shaka .

1 hour ago, meterman said:

Sunday reggae thread update time!

From Brazil, Buena Onda Reggae Club:

and from darn sarf, The Skints. A band I was in supported them once and they were brilliant live, defo want to see them again:

and a bit of an old school UK favourite on Greensleeves, Reggae Regular "It's Coming", the flipside of "Black Star Liner". Always loved the bass on this, he's pretty much freestyling it all the way through. Around 3:01 when the bass comes back in after a drop out it makes me smile every time:

Enjoy, folks :)

Blimey I'm fickle.

Really wanted to like Buena Onda, but I really don't like when bands do reggae versions of Jazz and don't swing. When they got in to the recognisable bit of Caravan those staccato notes were killing me!

On the other hand, The Skints used a female voice doubling some of the lead vocal - a bit like Housemartins. Not a common Reggae motif at all, but this time I loved it! 

To clarify, I'm not saying there are things that should or should not be done in a Reggae setting, it's just what I'm hearing.

Edited by Mykesbass
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mykesbass said:

Blimey I'm fickle.

Really wanted to like Buena Onda, but I really don't like when bands do reggae versions of Jazz and don't swing. When they got in to the recognisable bit of Caravan those staccato notes were killing me!

I know what you mean! I definitely prefer their more dubby material but I like Caravan as well. Easily pleased, that's me 😂

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

A few Friday tunes from one of my favourite vocalists in reggae ☝️

Here I Come was huge in the record shop I worked in at the time. Wasn't a big reggae shop but this one hit the spot with our South London punters.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Was that around 85-88 myke 

Pretty sure it would have been 85 when it first came out. I worked there off an on for quite a few years starting as a Saturday boy and ending up working for the label they set up.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sorcerer said:

Here's Black Uhuru and The Police on stage together. I wonder what song they're doing? 

Black Uhuru & The Police.jpg

Hi sorcerer and welcome, that’s interesting, I’ve never heard a song with the both of them and black uhuru are my favourite band , and I’ve seen them many times especially in the 80s but I don’t remember this , a quick look at uhuru’s concert history says it was April 19, 1982 in Rutherford , but it doesn’t say what they were singing together 🙂

• Like 1