Why become a member? ×

The Reggae Thread

Reggaebass

Excellent thread! I love reggae / ska / roots / rocksteady / dub / sound system culture and two of my all time favourite bass players are Family Man and Robbie Shakespeare. Some fantastic tunes in this thread!

Here's something that came out a couple of months ago from an album of old school reggae stars covering modern day soul tunes. Projects like this can be a bit hit and miss but this one is ace. I'd recommend the whole album but reggae is catnip to me. :)Tabby Shaw from The Mighty Diamonds doing "This World (Is Going Up In Flames)" by the late Charles Bradley. Can't doubt his sincerity or his delivery on this and the groove is wicked.

And because it's Friday and the sun is trying to break through, have a one hour mix of feelgood ska, reggae, roots and dub I put together a while back. If folks like King Stitt, Jackie Mittoo, The Silvertones, Max Romeo, Lloyd Charmers, Gregory Isaacs, Sly Dunbar, Peter Tosh, Joe Gibbs etc, float your boat then hit the play button 👍

Cheers - Lee

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, meterman said:

Excellent thread! I love reggae / ska / roots / rocksteady / dub / sound system culture and two of my all time favourite bass players are Family Man and Robbie Shakespeare. Some fantastic tunes in this thread!

Here's something that came out a couple of months ago from an album of old school reggae stars covering modern day soul tunes. Projects like this can be a bit hit and miss but this one is ace. I'd recommend the whole album but reggae is catnip to me. :)Tabby Shaw from The Mighty Diamonds doing "This World (Is Going Up In Flames)" by the late Charles Bradley. Can't doubt his sincerity or his delivery on this and the groove is wicked.

And because it's Friday and the sun is trying to break through, have a one hour mix of feelgood ska, reggae, roots and dub I put together a while back. If folks like King Stitt, Jackie Mittoo, The Silvertones, Max Romeo, Lloyd Charmers, Gregory Isaacs, Sly Dunbar, Peter Tosh, Joe Gibbs etc, float your boat then hit the play button 👍

Cheers - Lee

Thanks for that Tabby Shaw track Lee , that’s superb and an hour of feelgood reggae sounds great to me, I’m looking forward to listening to that 👍

• Like 1

Excuse the self indulgence, and yes it is more on the Ska side of things, but this is the latest release by my nephew's band, and I think it is the best thing they have done so far - a session for Rodigan on BBC1 Xtra recorded at Maida Vale.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, meterman said:

Bit of feelgood gear for yer Saturday morning!  🔥🔥🔥 Jr Thomas & The Volcanos 🔥🔥🔥

Deep vibe but such a light touch. I would LOVE to play in a band like this. And yes, I own the yellow vinyl :) 

Love the record label!

Workin' in a Colemine!

• Like 1

Okay, volume up! Couple of faves to start the week off:

Lloyd Charmers "Have I Sinned" - it's sweet 70's pop reggae really, but the bassline and tubular bells elevate it to greatness for me 😎

...then some Brazilian business - Orquestra Brasileira De Música Jamaicana "Dub Manifesto" 

...and a bit of old school Sly Dunbar with Robbie Shakespeare, one of my favourite basslines, so much space 😎

Enjoy yer Monday everybody! 

• Like 2

@Reggaebass 's posting of Pablo Gad's "Hard Times" takes me back!

I only have one of his 12" singles, "Trafalgar Square" which is good (see pic). Burning Rockers! Red vinyl! Yessss!!!

But if you flip it over there's an absolute gem by Chereene - "To You Natty Dread" - 9 minutes of lovers rock vibes with some great spacy psychedelic dub touches 😎 which as far as I know hasn't been reissued or made available on any digital platform. It's a shame when great tunes slip through the net. But it's a great one to play along with and get lost in...

91918232_07.jpeg.981c72cdbff548f178ee8e3574cf89a8.jpeg

Fill yer boots, dub fans : ) 

Edited by meterman
  • Like 2

The sun's trying to get out here, time for some tunes 👍

An old fave from the wonderfully named 10ft Ganja Plant:

A classic from Joe Gibbs with one of my all time favourite basslines. Nice 'doorbell in dub' action too:

Then an older fave from Lennie Hibbert:

Then me doing a cheeky cover of Lennie Hibbert on a 4-track cassette recorder for a daft laugh. Lo-fi AF but it was fun to do:

Let's hope the sun gets out eh? :)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, meterman said:

The sun's trying to get out here, time for some tunes 👍

An old fave from the wonderfully named 10ft Ganja Plant:

A classic from Joe Gibbs with one of my all time favourite basslines. Nice 'doorbell in dub' action too:

Then an older fave from Lennie Hibbert:

Then me doing a cheeky cover of Lennie Hibbert on a 4-track cassette recorder for a daft laugh. Lo-fi AF but it was fun to do:

Let's hope the sun gets out eh? :)

Loving Village Soul and your cover is fabulous! 

• Like 1