Why become a member? ×

The Reggae Thread

Reggaebass

On 04/02/2020 at 21:28, TheMaartian said:

Of course, the Caro Emerald video came from a playlist. Which also contained this gem! Gong-infused Ska. Love it!

I was listening to a bit of wicked dub division and came across this track by Freddy frenzy who is in the band ,nice Bassline 

• Like 3

Another band i played with nicked the vocal part from this version of Take 5 by the North East Ska Jazz Orchestra - great to see them with Wicked Dub Division (who incidentally is getting a lot of play on my Spotify).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Raslee said:

Another band i played with nicked the vocal part from this version of Take 5 by the North East Ska Jazz Orchestra - great to see them with Wicked Dub Division (who incidentally is getting a lot of play on my Spotify).

I can't tell you how much I like this! I have dozens of Brubeck CDs!

Just now, Reggaebass said:

When did he release it, this is the first similar version I heard, it was around 1978 

1959 - he was the sax player on the Dave Brubeck original, along with the absolutely incredible Joe Morello on drums. Strangely I have no Idea who the bass player was - 🤔

This one ^ for me is the nicest version, as they don't try and make it sound like the jazz version, so the 4/4 timing is OK.

Can't see why someone couldn't make a 5/4 reggae version - Easy Star All Stars managed 7/4 on Money.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mykesbass said:

1959 - he was the sax player on the Dave Brubeck original, along with the absolutely incredible Joe Morello on drums. Strangely I have no Idea who the bass player was - 🤔

This one ^ for me is the nicest version, as they don't try and make it sound like the jazz version, so the 4/4 timing is OK.

Can't see why someone couldn't make a 5/4 reggae version - Easy Star All Stars managed 7/4 on Money.

Cheers myke, I didn’t realise it was such an old tune 👍

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Raslee said:

This was my favourite Take 5 , love this band:

Quite different. This version is growing on me. Great guitar work, compared to the other version, where the guitarist either couldn't do more or wasn't given more to play.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheMaartian said:

Quite different. This version is growing on me. Great guitar work, compared to the other version, where the guitarist either couldn't do more or wasn't given more to play.

I love the New York Ska Jazz Ensemble. That one wasn't one of their better offerings. If you like that kind of thing, go have fun with them! :)

Here's another cool one:

• Like 2

Hope it's legal to repost my own video here. I put this together with my reggae artist friend Chris Murray. Dave Hillyard of The Slackers on sax. I'm delighted with it. If you don't know them already DEFINITELY check out Chris Murray and The Slackers!

Edited by Duarte
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

A nice medley here with reggae drummer Karigan and some sweet Basslines .

I enjoyed those a lot more than I thought I would, I usually run a mile from anything with the word medley anywhere near it. Enjoyed the drumming in particular.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

I enjoyed those a lot more than I thought I would, I usually run a mile from anything with the word medley anywhere near it. Enjoyed the drumming in particular.

It’s funny, I liked that but thought that the drums were a bit busy, although clearly very good.

• Like 1