Why become a member? ×

The Reggae Thread

Reggaebass

On 11/01/2020 at 06:31, TheGreek said:

Reggae was my inspiration to start playing bass.

Loved the bass lines from Aswad and Maxi Priest in the early/mid 80s and the Reggae Hits albums opened many doors for me This led to a huge collection of Dub and Sly & Robbie/ Black Uhuru and Steel Pulse.

Gregory Isaacs , Freddie McGregor and Lovers Rock are all favourites..

TBH I think it lost it's way in the 90s - I haven't bought any Reggae this century.

More like "evolved" for me. For example, I've bought quite a few Stick Figure CDs the last few years. He's from San Diego (a LONG way from Jamaica). He does good work!

Edited by TheMaartian
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, tinyd said:

I've always loved anything with Sly and Robbie,

Me too tinyd, I’ve followed them pretty much from day 1 , there’s some good studio footage on YT which is well worth a look, I’m also listening to quite a bit of Israel vibration lately, some nice basslines, 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

Oh delicious extended goodness. Steel Pulse - Handsworth Revolution, one of the greatest albums of any genre imho. Here with several dub versions and BBC sessions, thirty tracks of heaven...

I’d forgotten this, Absolute tune frank ☝️

2 minutes ago, TheMaartian said:

New artist to me. Thanks for sharing. Really nice!

That’s great ☝️, pablo was quite famous for playing the melodica and heavy roots reggae, he also worked with a lot of well known artists especially king tubby. Imo, his early tunes were the best 🙂

I should really get around to contributing to this thread being a bit of a reggaemon but i have been running on a Jamaican time frame, 😂....better irie than never ;)

My old reggae covers band has recently reformed, new singer (female), new horns (forgot how loud trombonists are). Very early days, 4 rehearsals so far and around 10 tunes......oddly mostly ska at this stage.

I've played various reggae esq music between 2008-2015 from covers of the usual classics and also not so well known, a bit of 50/60's trad ska with a jazz flavour, bit of two tone ska depping for Too hot, heavy loud UK Roots dub being the live backing band for our friend Daddy Teacha who's worked with Vibronics, Iration Steppas, and Alpha & Omega among many, and also providing billions of classic riddims for our Jamaican friend 'Goldman' and his live Tiger style sets...20 seconds of a riddim, 'pull upppppppp'.... next riddim followed by Sleng Teng for two hours (ad nauseum).....long set list with songs lasting the average length of a Napalm death song!

Then had 4 years off doing soul/funktion band stuff and a bit of grunge rock to play a bit of my youth.....but now back to the vibe i love ......the sweet reggae.....here is a nice tune we're nicking for the set, we'll do a version of a version of a version...simple B line but the sum of the parts are very nice:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Raslee said:

but now back to the vibe i love ......the sweet reggae.

You can never escape the vibe  😄 , that’s great that you’re band has reformed, especially with the trombonists, I always think they add so much to the reggae sound , please keep us posted on how it’s going ,and I think covering that tune will go down really well,  great post Raslee ☝️

• Thanks 1