Why become a member? ×

Neil Peart RIP

ianrendall

50 minutes ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

I was going to be 'that' person who points out that it's the Fender Jazz on Spirit, but I thought better of it 😉

But the jazz is on the opening shot as seen above. He did normally play the Ric live tho. Its an amazing Vid clip with people spotting little bits and pieces the more they watch it.

Dave

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

I am always shocked at the low production values on Rush videos. The stuff that they played on those screens at gigs were always a bit iffy. 

IMO, of course. 

A lot of the vids were deliberately retro.

The Garden on the Clockwork Angels tour was spot on.

• Like 1

Was listening to Temples of Syrinx this afternoon.  Peart's drumming is just at its peak, rising and falling in perfect tempo like a high performance V8 being revved along with the lyrics. Just brilliant.

Edited by Bassfinger
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Just in case there is anyone else who may be interested, the 40th Anniversary boxed set of Permanent Waves has been released. 

I’ll settle for listening to it on Spotify! Lockdown poverty!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Just in case there is anyone else who may be interested, the 40th Anniversary boxed set of Permanent Waves has been released. 

PW is my favourite Rush album so I'm considering it. Not really fanboy enough, though - there's no new/unreleased material here & I don't know if it's worth it just for the live stuff, of which there's already a fair amount from that era around.

I probably wasn't alone in hoping that someone might have unearthed some long-lost demos for Sir Gawain & The Green Knight, the aborted concept piece that much of Permanent Waves originated from!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bassassin said:

PW is my favourite Rush album so I'm considering it. Not really fanboy enough, though - there's no new/unreleased material here & I don't know if it's worth it just for the live stuff, of which there's already a fair amount from that era around.

I probably wasn't alone in hoping that someone might have unearthed some long-lost demos for Sir Gawain & The Green Knight, the aborted concept piece that much of Permanent Waves originated from!

Yes, they were my thoughts too, however, I have the other three boxes, so I figured I may as well get this one too. They are very well put together and I’m looking forward to listening to the vinyl when I get my new turntable.

I’m not sure if PW waves is my absolute fave, but it’s right up there.

On 22/01/2020 at 17:19, dmccombe7 said:

Glasgow SECC was always a hit or a miss for sound in my experience. I always try to sit near the sound desk at any major gig. If anywhere is gonna have the best overall sound its the sound desk.

Dave

The SECC was indeed dreadful but I don't think it was as bad as Ingleston. I saw Rush there back in the 80's and the sound was mince. Funnily enough, I have heard people slate the Hydro but in my opinion the sound is pretty good in there. The last time I saw Rush was in the SECC and the sound was pretty good, which reiterates  your point about it being hit and miss.

On 15/06/2020 at 10:05, Daz39 said:

That was brilliant, thanks. Loved the accurate playing renditions of the musicians, all the song references, and the general nerdery of the animation. *must not cry*

@5:05 Oof! It's getting a bit dusty in here.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ubit said:

The SECC was indeed dreadful but I don't think it was as bad as Ingleston. I saw Rush there back in the 80's and the sound was mince. Funnily enough, I have heard people slate the Hydro but in my opinion the sound is pretty good in there. The last time I saw Rush was in the SECC and the sound was pretty good, which reiterates  your point about it being hit and miss.

Missed Rush at Ingleston but saw Boston there and the sound was woeful. Oddly enough the support band sounded better but the volume was lower. So maybe with the higher volumes you got more boom around the hall.

Not been to the Hydro yet but maybe some day.

Dave 

On 15/06/2020 at 21:12, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Jeez, 40 years since Permanent Waves, feels like yesterday. The first time I heard Spirit of Radio was one of those definitive moments that stays with you. But wow, 40 years has gone by quick! 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Too true. I first got into Rush when 2112 album was released in 76

Dave

Me too but I bought it in '77. I went down to the Friday Market and bought it at lunchtime (or dinner time as it was called then) and brought it back. I'd never heard them but pretended to everyone that I knew them because I had read about them in Sounds and Kerrang. When I went home and stuck it on, at first I thought what the hell is this? As soon as it kicked in that was me hooked!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There was an item in Sounds or NME about the hot new bands in 76 to look out for. Police, Blondie, Rush were the only 3 i can remember from the list. The Rush album and description looked so different from the others altho the same ad got me listening to the Police.

Bought mine in Glasgow somewhere.

Dave

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Can't believe it's been a year!

What a great article - shed a tear there - what heart and passion - what friends he touched.

I'm feeling distinctly diminished and miserable now. (Thanks Obama!)

Edited by Daz39
  • Like 1