Why become a member? ×

Neil Peart RIP

ianrendall

I knew Neil had taken inspiration from Ayn Rand in those early days but to be honest it didn't make any difference to me. I just enjoyed the songs and lyrics for what i imagined them to be. Where he gets his influences from isn't the point for me.

Enjoy music for what it is and not what it might be.

Dave

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Rich said:

Oh yes, very definitely one of those 'fantasy dinner guests'.

Exactly. such an interesting character plus i could talk motorbikes with him too. 

That could be a new topic. "Interesting dinner guests" 

Edited by dmccombe7

I remember Geddy Lee saying that he found the NME article particularly offensive, as his parents were holocaust survivors. 
For me, Rush were just painting pictures and you can acknowledge someone’s genius without buying into their ideology. 
As for the NME, I think that my preferences had diverged from their agenda already by then. 

Edited by prowla

7 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Exactly. such an interesting character plus i could talk motorbikes with him too. 

That could be a new topic. "Interesting dinner guests" 

There’s a great video of the three of them sitting down over dinner and drinks. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, prowla said:

There’s a great video of the three of them sitting down over dinner and drinks. 

They did it fairly regularly - taking time to catch up. Often Neil was away doing Neil stuff though so most times it would be Alex and Geddy in a Toronto restaurant sometimes weekly just catching up, and never dismissive of people who asked nicely for a selfie or autograph.

29 minutes ago, prowla said:

I remember Geddy Lee saying that he found the NME article particularly offensive, as his parents were holocaust survivors. 
For me, Rush were just painting pictures and you can acknowledge someone’s genius without buying into their ideology. 
As for the NME, I think that my preferences had diverged from their agenda already by then. 

I think one of  Peart's reactions to the NME stitch-up was to remark that they must be unique in being the only band in the world with "a Jewish Nazi bass player"!

The song Red Sector A, from the Grace Under Pressure album is inspired by Lee's parents' experiences as survivors of a Nazi concentration camp.

• Like 1

I have been a RUSH  fan since the mid 70's.  The way those three guys conducted themselves was an exemplar of thoughtfulness, dignity and professionalism. The press have been pushing lee and Lifeson for the reason behind the final hurrah for Rush and at all times were polite (never ever losing it...) even though they had the full knowledge of what was happening to Neil.  Incredible musicians, incredible work ethic and intelligence.   Peart was unassuming and in the same moment Colossal. RIP

• Like 2

I disagreed with a lot of what Neil Peart said over the years but I also disagree with some of the things that I have said over the years. He wasn't perfect, as a drummer or as a lyricist, but he kept trying and growing and for that he was a real example. He was a man of integrity  and for that he has my eternal respect. 

Edited by Bilbo
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, ezbass said:

Can open, worms everywhere!

I agree with @hiram.k.hackenbacker, pick a live album or DVD. Rush in Rio or R30 wouldn't be a bad bet.

100% agree. Best a DVD as you get to see Geddy doing any combination of 3 things at one time, ie. vocals with bass and bass pedals, vocals with keys and bass pedals and on occasion vocals with bass and keys with bass pedals. Man is a genious and Neil Peart solos were just something to behold.

Dave

2 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

100% agree. Best a DVD as you get to see Geddy doing any combination of 3 things at one time, ie. vocals with bass and bass pedals, vocals with keys and bass pedals and on occasion vocals with bass and keys with bass pedals. Man is a genious and Neil Peart solos were just something to behold.

Agreed - but anything that hasn't been in the last 10 years or so, the vocals sound a bit better there.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Old Ged is doing ok for a mature 66yr old gent tho. 

He is ok, yes. His bass and keyboard is fantastic, but his voice was not what it was. He has obviously been taught different techniques to make the best of it and he is ok. But OK isn't really good for rush, I don't enjoy it as much as earlier rush. But there is a lifetime of stuff out there to go through so there is not really an issue.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

He is ok, yes. His bass and keyboard is fantastic, but his voice was not what it was. He has obviously been taught different techniques to make the best of it and he is ok. But OK isn't really good for rush, I don't enjoy it as much as earlier rush. But there is a lifetime of stuff out there to go through so there is not really an issue.

Speaking as someone whose range has been dropping slightly the last few years, even at 56, I just take it for granted that many vocalists will struggle as they get older. It doesn’t really bother me. 

• Like 1

I write for a US based music and culture based online magazine called PopMatters and the job of writing Neil’s obituary fell to me. It was the hardest thing I've ever had to write. https://www.popmatters.com/neil-peart-2020-tribute-2644669184.html?rebelltitem=1#rebelltitem1

Edited by rushbo
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, 4000 said:

Speaking as someone whose range has been dropping slightly the last few years, even at 56, I just take it for granted that many vocalists will struggle as they get older. It doesn’t really bother me. 

Me too, happens to everyone. I am not blaming him for not being able to sing as well, it is just as you say, a fact of life. I am just saying his voice is not as good, so if you want to hear them at their best, listen to something from before 2005 as it is better.

Rush are my all time favourite group which is why I chose to not go and see them in the last 10 years.

20 minutes ago, rushbo said:

I write for a US based music and culture based online magazine called PopMatters and the job of writing Neil’s obituary fell to me. It was the hardest thing I've ever had to write. https://www.popmatters.com/neil-peart-2020-tribute-2644669184.html?rebelltitem=1#rebelltitem1

That’s a lovely piece, Ian, thankyou!

36 minutes ago, rushbo said:

Can't seem to get it to open. Page is continuously updating after 5mins.