Why become a member? ×

G&L M2000 Hybrid.

TheGreek

Arrived today - another impulse buy....so much for downsizing.

Lovely looking bass with a slate grey figured maple top and curved body (which I wasn't aware of), specs below:

• Body Material: Mahogany /
  • Top: Figured Maple (Flame / Tiger / Curly Maple) /
  • Technology: Solid Body / Colour / Finish: Transparent Black /
  • Neck construction: Bolt on neck /
  • Scale: Long scale / Scale Length: 34" (86,36 cm) /
  • Neck: L2000 Maple / Fretboard: maple / Fretboard Inlays: Dot inlays /
  • Frets: 21 / Strings: 4-string /
  • Pickup type: Soapbar / Neck Pickup: G&L MFD Humbucker / Bridge Pickup: G&L MFD Humbucker /
  • Electronics: 3 band Equaliser /
  • Pickup Selector Switch: Blend / Hardware: Chrome

This one has the maple neck from an L2000 - apparently had a fault with the original neck and was replaced by the UK Distributor - there is an email from Mark Stickley at Bass Direct confirming this.

Haven't had a chance to place this through an amp yet but did have about half an hour with it acoustically in the office. Nice feel to the neck, nicely weighted and balanced. There are a number of reviews online which give good positive feedback.

https://www.guitarfella.com/gl-tribute-l-2000-bass-guitar-review/

Photos and detailed feedback on the tonal package to follow.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by TheGreek
  • Like 6

I have always thought that developing the Fender body shape/finish was a non starter. For Fenderesque instruments (bass or guitar), for me if it is not one of the standard Fender colours and shapes it is just wrong. But G&L are the exception to that rule. I follow then on FB and virtually every instrument I see I think "yup, nice". Good job G&L! That is a classy looking axe.

First impressions?? Sounds very bright - may be new strings but adjusting the mids and the treble still leave it feeling/sounding very HiFi - as if I'm playing through a Class D amp rather than a valve rig. Hopefully this'll soften when the strings go off a bit....

No scales here so I can't give a definitive weight but I would hazard a guess at around the 9lb mark. Didn't feel overly heavy and it balances well without a strap.

Lots of positive feedback on t'net about the twin Humbucker pups and (18v) preamp - certainly versatile and produce a broad range of tones. You can believe that somewhere in the tonal package is something you can use in most situations - I'm tempted to lend it to somebody like @Lozz196 who's a die hard P user to see what he thinks.

Neck profile?? 👍👍 Very nice...Remember the neck is from the L2000, with the maple fretboard which may be contributing towards the HiFi tones. The review says "C Profile" - width is somewhere between a Jazz and a P but very shallow - just measured it at 30mm at the 5th fret - and very easy to get round. The only downside I would suggest is the finish - I prefer a smooth satin finish. I'm tempted to take some wire wool to the gloss lacquer...

I'm not sure if the 6 bolt neck is an improvement on the 4 bolt neck which are on the traditional Fender models. I'm not planning on removing the neck with any frequency and I don't think I've ever read a review where somebody has asked for more bolts on the neck. I'm sure somebody has a pseudo scientific explanation why more is better here....but I don't think I'll be buying into it! The fit, however, is exceptional - very snug and well built.

IMO The body is aesthetically more pleasing than Leo's earlier creations (much easier on the eye than either the Jazz or a Precision I'd say) and the rounded, convex body is a definite move in the right direction ergonomically. Feels classic yet modern with a nod towards the Spector/ Warwick design. Mine has the Figured Maple finish in grey - nice.....

Hardware is of a quality you'd expect even though the Tribute is made in Indonesia which is slowly becoming the Bass building centre of the 21st Century. The bridge seems well designed, solid and modern - much better than the traditional BBOT you get on vintage Fenders.

The controls layout is also very intuitive - top two knobs are the master volume and pan, the three below are the three band EQ - each featuring the mid point "click" - once you understand what they are, they seem obvious. Reviews on the net suggest this is an improvement over the L2000 layout.

I'm not sure if there are plans to offer a two band EQ option (a la the MM 'Ray) which I believe is the preferred option on the 'Rays so there may be room for this as a possible future option.

Over all, a(nother) very nice bass for not a lot of bucks - it would be interesting to put this up against other basses in the same price range and also against the USA version. I don't think it has much to fear.

Would I recommend one, a definite "Yes"!!

Edited by TheGreek
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, TheGreek said:

still leave it feeling/sounding very HiFi

Yep, that's a fair description of the M2000. ;) It's definitely a more modern (hi-fi) sounding bass than classic tone. DR Sunbeams work quite well on it (mellow the tone) if you can deal with the lower tension string. Definitely don't want Dunlop Super Bright nickels on it. (I made that mistake. LOL)

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...