Why become a member? ×

Help needed - HIgh power full range (good bass response) 6" & 8" drivers

Woodwind

Hello,

I'm looking for help from more tech savvy members.

It was on my to do list for 2020 anyway and a recent emergency hernia operation has meant it is now mandatory.

I'm simplifying my live set up (which is rather unorthodox ) to go from 2 Phil Jones double 4's to a mixer, a small amp and a single cabinet.

Without going into the complete intricacies of my live show immediately, can anyone either from direct experience or just general expertise, point me towards some high power+full range 6inch and 8inch 8ohm drivers. I can use google, but would like opinions from members here :)

Cheers

Thomas

Most small drivers will come in heavy cabs. Small drivers won't have the full low end response you are asking for, unless you use lots of them. You can do better than that. 

IMO if weight has become an overriding concern and you still want great tone and useable volume, I'd suggest 1 or 2 Barefaced cabs. A Super Compact is 21lbs (9.5kg) and a One10 is about 15lbs (6.8kg). That's what I use with my Aguilar amps.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, chris_b said:

Most small drivers will come in heavy cabs. Small drivers won't have the full low end response you are asking for, unless you use lots of them. You can do better than that. 

IMO if weight has become an overriding concern and you still want great tone and useable volume, I'd suggest 1 or 2 Barefaced cabs. A Super Compact is 21lbs (9.5kg) and a One10 is about 15lbs (6.8kg). That's what I use with my Aguilar amps.

Cheers Chris,

My tech rider specifies a bass cabinet to be provided by the promoter or venue, the small driver is for something a little different

15 minutes ago, Woodwind said:

Cheers Chris,

My tech rider specifies a bass cabinet to be provided by the promoter or venue, the small driver is for something a little different

What's it for? Many drivers have a good full range potential but it completely depends on what box they're going into. The box and driver need to be paired properly and in most instances the driver coupled with what you need the finished product to do  will dictate the box design.

The P Audio E8-200N is a good quality 8-incher that sounds good with bass guitar and handles a fair amount of power. It's also light and relatively inexpensive at £55.

The Faital Pro 8PR200  is probably the best, lightweight 8" speaker for bass guitar. It costs about £100.

It's not quite clear what your plans are, but if you're going for a lightweight build, you should avoid ceramic magnets and multiple drivers, as they will make your cabinet heavier than it needs to be. I cannot see any situation apart from bedroom practice where you could get away with a single 6" - so I'd avoid those - and also go for a single 10" if that's feasible.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, stevie said:

The P Audio E8-200N is a good quality 8-incher that sounds good with bass guitar and handles a fair amount of power. It's also light and relatively inexpensive at £55.

The Faital Pro 8PR200  is probably the best, lightweight 8" speaker for bass guitar. It costs about £100...

Excellent, thank you Stevie, this is precisely what I needed.

Edited by Woodwind

1 hour ago, mrtcat said:

What's it for? Many drivers have a good full range potential but it completely depends on what box they're going into.

1 hour ago, stevie said:

It's not quite clear what your plans are, but if you're going for a lightweight build, you should avoid ceramic magnets and multiple drivers, as they will make your cabinet heavier than it needs to be. I cannot see any situation apart from bedroom practice where you could get away with a single 6" - so I'd avoid those 

I'll reveal all in due course as it's perhaps a little too left field for a Friday night on basschat 😉

• Like 1