Why become a member? ×

Uptown Funk - as a 3 piece

MacDaddy

We're gonna have a bash at some Uptown Funk. We're a 3 piece instrument wise - plus vocalist - so it's gonna be quite challenging.

The proviso of only playing it live, is if our version sounds good, and not just passable.

Initial thoughts are to rock it up a tad. Gonna be a lot of faffing with the bass sound :) 

15 hours ago, Crawford13 said:

An OC2, 1st octave fully on, 2nd octave & dry signal fully off.  That’s a good place to start.

This.

Or, keep some dry signal in along with the 1 octave down - I find that this helps to fill things out a bit more and maintains a bit of clarity, especially in smaller venues where it's easy to overdo the sub bass thing.

When I have to play this song I use a 3 Leaf Audio Octabvre (with the mix knob at about 1 O'clock) running in to an envelope filter, my favourite being the Emma DiscumBOBulator. It gives a slightly synthy tone but with enough clean signal that it's not muddy. The filter adds a bit of a vocal quality.

You can probably get a similar sound with any decent filter and octave pedal, although something similar to an OC2 will be more synth like than,say, the EBS.

On 10/01/2020 at 20:18, Crawford13 said:

An OC2, 1st octave fully on, 2nd octave & dry signal fully off.  That’s a good place to start.

When I've played it I've kept the dry signal knob at around 10 o'clock. It helps give the note some definition.

I struggle with the slap and bass fills alongside getting the octave on and off. Anyone have any advise for that?