Why become a member? ×

NBD - Yamaha TRBX504

Oomworthy

So excited! A step up from my Epiphone T-bird, and something different to my Peavey Millennium (the one I play most while I'm learning). Only had it in my hands for a couple of hours and already enjoying the new experience

.1423497448_MeYamahatrbx5043.thumb.JPG.d86b4a66f8097fc93d36ca0660a89c56.JPG

IMG_4216.thumb.JPG.ce55b40d98265ae4bd5f2b90434795b1.JPG

Edited by Oomworthy
add pics
  • Like 3

Update: I don't get on with round wound strings so between the naturally brighter/punchier tone of this bass and my inability to get consistent non-scratchy tone (at the moment), I prefer flat wound strings. I bought a set for my T-bird but the ball is too large to fit it so they were put on the Millennium and completely changed my experience. Cue a string change on the 504...

...That's better! The passive sound is now much warmer but still with a bit of bite, and the active electronics have a punchy tone if I dig in a little but give the softer tone I was looking for. Nowhere near P bass tone, but something different, and of course I can slide around without scraping. They are just cheap flats but they do the job for this noob, and I'd highly recommend trying this bass with a set.

Prior to changing them I was starting to regret not looking for a BB434.

Lovely looking Bass. I had the TRBX505 in the same finish. Its a nice bass, but i didn't get on with mine, mainly the B string, but i wasn't keen on the pups either, although I did gig with it for well over a year. Personally i prefer the BB434, but its cool that we all like different things.

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Like 1

What is it you didn't like about the 505, and what do you prefer with the BB434? As I say, I was drawn to both and although I'd all but decided the flexibility of the 504 was what I wanted, it was impatience and price that won out.

I live 30 miles from ANY music shops, and the ones I can get to don't have much choice - especially bass gear - so online tends to be where I sound out other players and look for my purchases.

28 minutes ago, Oomworthy said:

What is it you didn't like about the 505, and what do you prefer with the BB434? As I say, I was drawn to both and although I'd all but decided the flexibility of the 504 was what I wanted, it was impatience and price that won out.

I live 30 miles from ANY music shops, and the ones I can get to don't have much choice - especially bass gear - so online tends to be where I sound out other players and look for my purchases.

Dont get me wrong, i loved it at first. I chose this over the cheaper one as i wanted the ability to run in passive mode if needed. I gigged it almost every weekend for well over a year. Its more than a capable bass. I just felt after a while i was missing something, and i figured out the tone just wasn't for me. I felt it was a bit flat sounding. Personal preference of course.

I nearly always buy my basses online, gives me the freedom to return them if i dont like them. In fact the 505 was the last bass i brought from a shop.

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Like 1