Why become a member? ×

Small Sadowsky problems (believe it or not)

bubinga5

Hi there..i bought an RV5 a while ago, and although i love the tone of the bass, its never really felt together..

When it arrived the action was WAY to low so there was terrible fret buzz all over the neck, so i have raised the action, but cant seem to get it low without fret buzz...Also when it arrived the active/passive pull push knob was loose and wobbles, as well as the stacked treble/bass knob.

Also Im not sure if its normal but the tone gets very muddy the higher i play on the B string???
i know these are only small problems, but on a £1700.00 bass, they maybe shouldnt happen..

Now i know this is prob pretty rare on a new Sadowsky, but has anyone else experienced any problems with one..Im now going to take it for a good setup and get it sorted..

I should say apart from these minor(but annoying problems) the bass is flawless and beautifully made!!!!

Anyone know a good repair/setup shop in the Cheltenham area??

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' post='393209' date='Jan 27 2009, 09:48 PM']When it arrived the action was WAY to low so there was terrible fret buzz all over the neck, so i have raised the action, but cant seem to get it low without fret buzz...[/quote]

Forgive me if these questions are stupidly obvious...

1. I assume you've tweaked the truss rod to add a little relief to the neck?

2. Are you a heavy-handed player? No matter how good the neck is you'll always get some fret buzz if you play hard enough.....

Where did you get it from? A UK dealer or direct from Sadowsky. Probably just needs a decent setup after the journey across the pond?

If it has genuine problems eMail Roger and he will sort you out - Sadowsky are famous for their customer service.

Steve

[quote name='birdy' post='393234' date='Jan 27 2009, 10:20 PM']Where did you get it from? A UK dealer or direct from Sadowsky. Probably just needs a decent setup after the journey across the pond?

If it has genuine problems eMail Roger and he will sort you out - Sadowsky are famous for their customer service.

Steve[/quote]
Yeah direct from Roger and his team..I guess it just needs a good setup...

I have a TRB6II and the action is pretty low (perfect for me) but i never get fret buzz, no matter how hard i play, just some great growl..Think i will take both and get them to set the Sad the same as the TRB (or close)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='393277' date='Jan 27 2009, 11:14 PM']Sounds like the neck is too curved. Most jazz basses seem to work best with [b][b]just a touch of relief towards the tuning end[/b][/b]. The neck profile can also change if you've changed the string guages at all. Always surprises me how much difference it makes on a wooden neck.

Rich.[/quote]

Sorry Rich, how do you achieve relief at just one end of the neck?

no it's buggered, never gonna be able to fix that,it's just gonna take up space, tell you what I'm in Cheltenham even though I don't play fivers I'll do a fellow basschatter a favour and take it off your hands I'll even sling you a pint for it how's that? ;)

Btw was the trb the one from Aroundabout?

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='393289' date='Jan 27 2009, 11:45 PM']Roger and his team seem like a good bunch. If perhaps they let one through that wasn't quite right I'd give them the option to sort it.

Peter[/quote]

+1

I'm sure they'll do everything they can to help - go to them first.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='393286' date='Jan 27 2009, 11:41 PM']Sorry Rich, how do you achieve relief at just one end of the neck?[/quote]

I think he's making reference to the fact that alot of wooden necks have support rods that run roughly to the 12th fret, so most truss rod relief happens at the far end of the neck.

The thing I love about my Sados is the easy truss adjustment. My RV5 has an exquisitely tweaked, er, rod with a very low action.

Most 5s will sound increasingly muddy as you play up the neck on the B. It's not s'posed to go much above the 12th fret IME. The intonation wil get murky up there anyway. Might be worth trying a B with a tapered core though.

[quote name='gafbass02' post='393375' date='Jan 28 2009, 07:57 AM']no it's buggered, never gonna be able to fix that,it's just gonna take up space, tell you what I'm in Cheltenham even though I don't play fivers I'll do a fellow basschatter a favour and take it off your hands I'll even sling you a pint for it how's that? ;)

Btw was the trb the one from Aroundabout?[/quote]
Ha ha.. Yeah tis that TRB from Aroundabout..Played it and bought it on the spot..Awsome bass!!

Thanks guys....