Why become a member? ×

Talk Talk (the band)

dmccombe7

3 minutes ago, Linus27 said:

I think on The Colour of Spring, Danny Thompson plays a lot of the double bass parts.

Looks like Danny Thompson played acoustic bass on track one and Alan Gorrie played electric on same track.

Paul played on remaining tracks.

Not listened to that album yet.

2 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Looks like Danny Thompson played acoustic bass on track one and Alan Gorrie played electric on same track.

Paul played on remaining tracks.

Not listened to that album yet.

You've not listened to The Colour of Spring yet? Wow, a magnificent masterpiece, you really need to ASAP.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Linus27 said:

You've not listened to The Colour of Spring yet? Wow, a magnificent masterpiece, you really need to ASAP.

Got the 3 albums delivered yesterday but only managed to really listen to one of them so far. Songs to practice for our rehearsals tomorrow so will need to wait a few days yet but i'll get there.

Dave

2 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Got the 3 albums delivered yesterday but only managed to really listen to one of them so far. Songs to practice for our rehearsals tomorrow so will need to wait a few days yet but i'll get there.

Dave

Ok cool, I promise, you wont be disappointed 😊

• Thanks 1

Talk Talk have been top of my list as I trawl back through goodies I missed first time around. Their last 3 albums (Spring, Eden, Laughing Stock) are all superb. The recording of the last two is vividly described by Phill Brown in his book "Are we still rolling".

28 minutes ago, howdenspur said:

Talk Talk have been top of my list as I trawl back through goodies I missed first time around. Their last 3 albums (Spring, Eden, Laughing Stock) are all superb. The recording of the last two is vividly described by Phill Brown in his book "Are we still rolling".

Looked at some of the other albums on Amazon but didn't recognise any of the songs but i'll go back and have another listen

EDIT :- went back and listened to the short clips of Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock and can't say i was impressed by them. A bit too experimental for me. Atmospheric maybe but a little too out there. Colour of Spring is part of the triple collection i bought and know most of the songs

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

50 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

EDIT :- went back and listened to the short clips of Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock and can't say i was impressed by them. A bit too experimental for me. Atmospheric maybe but a little too out there. Colour of Spring is part of the triple collection i bought and know most of the songs

Dave

Spirit of Eden is a grower believe me.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

I'll listen to the album on youtube to get a better feel for it

Can I respectfully suggest that you not do this?

Instead I'd recommend that you purchase it in the format of your preference, set aside an evening when you'll be undisturbed, treat yourself to a premium version of your beverage of choice and then play it from end-to-end and immerse yourself in its unspeakable beauty. 

The first time I ever heard Spirit of Eden is indelibly imprinted on my memory: a friend brought it round after a gig and played it at ear-splitting volume at far too late an hour. Love at first sight/sound.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Dankology said:

Can I respectfully suggest that you not do this?

Instead I'd recommend that you purchase it in the format of your preference, set aside an evening when you'll be undisturbed, treat yourself to a premium version of your beverage of choice and then play it from end-to-end and immerse yourself in its unspeakable beauty. 

The first time I ever heard Spirit of Eden is indelibly imprinted on my memory: a friend brought it round after a gig and played it at ear-splitting volume at far too late an hour. Love at first sight/sound.

Perhaps our tastes are different tho. I like the idea of that and i might just buy the remaining studio albums just for sake of having them.

I do quite fancy the Montreux DVD as the more i watch it the more i like the overall sound and atmosphere of the gig

Dave

5 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Perhaps our tastes are different tho. I like the idea of that and i might just buy the remaining studio albums just for sake of having them.

I do quite fancy the Montreux DVD as the more i watch it the more i like the overall sound and atmosphere of the gig

Dave

I went looking for the Montreux CD after Hollis died and the prices were a bit silly. Didn't think to look at the DVD... Might go and check out Ebay now...

edit: sorry, it was the London 86 cd i was after...

Edited by Dankology

5 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Looked at some of the other albums on Amazon but didn't recognise any of the songs but i'll go back and have another listen

Dave

To be honest, I was also the same with Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock. A lot less accessible than say The Colour of Spring. I Believe In You however is for me, one of their best songs ever.

• Like 1

On 11/01/2020 at 21:23, Dankology said:

I went looking for the Montreux CD after Hollis died and the prices were a bit silly. Didn't think to look at the DVD... Might go and check out Ebay now...

edit: sorry, it was the London 86 cd i was after...

London 86 CD has always been a daft price, as it's so rare.

London 86 DVD AFAIK was never released officially, the concert was filmed and shown on TV around 1988.  

There are actually two 86 CD's, the one above being recorded 8th May, the other a soundboard recording from the 7th May. All (plus other concert footage) are on Ilton White's channel on You Tube.

• Thanks 2