Why become a member? ×

Talk Talk (the band)

dmccombe7

Having had tape recordings of 2 Talk Talk albums from early 80's made by a good friend i decided to buy the triple album CD that arrived today.

I had forgotten just how fantastic a band they were. Having read up a little on Paul Webb he used a WAL & Kramer DMZ4000 fretless basses back then.

What a bass sound. Most Vids from that era show him using the Kramer fretless bass. I believe he changed to a MM Stingray in later years.

And here's me been looking for one of them for several months to no avail. I shall continue my serach for a god quality DMZ4000 / 4001

image.jpeg.6652a0ee8f4db83e82f73f06fe90fa24.jpeg

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Having had tape recordings of 2 Talk Talk albums from early 80's made by a good friend i decided to buy the triple album CD that arrived today.

I had forgotten just how fantastic a band they were. Having read up a little on Paul Webb he used a WAL & Kramer DMZ4000 fretless basses back then.

What a bass sound. Most Vids from that era show him using the Kramer fretless bass. I believe he changed to a MM Stingray in later years.

And here's me been looking for one of them for several months to no avail. I shall continue my serach for a god quality DMZ4000 / 4001

image.jpeg.6652a0ee8f4db83e82f73f06fe90fa24.jpeg

One of my fave bands D, makes me miss the old fretless 

• Like 1

I know he used a custom  MM which had 2 different face woods. Top half of the body was a darker colour then the bottom half. I saw him use the black bass but couldn't quite make out what it was. Think its a Fender Precision of some kind

He also had a black Stingray bass not sure if it was fretless or not

According to his profile he used his Kramer DMZ fretless on most things at the beginning. 

Edited by dmccombe7

A friend of mine is one of the last independent record seller of Belgium (not linked to a franchise).

He told me the saddest thing ever. When Mark Hollis passed away, he didn't sell a single record of Talk Talk and certainly none of his only solo album, when he always sells some records of dead artists.

He, himself being a musical encyclopedia until the advent of real crap music (the new media heroes for one day), loves Mark Hollis solo album, which is not the easiest to listen to.

Talk Talk was making pioneering real avant-garde music. I massively love all the albums and THAT bass sound, wow, heavy !

• Like 2