Why become a member? ×

‘After market’ pup addition

lowlandtrees

Was looking at a ‘76 USA precision. The owner said that a jazz pup had been fitted ‘after market’ I think was the expression he used. It was very reasonably priced at £1400. Would altering the instrument in this way affect the value or is this the correct price....I have seen them at a higher price on BC. I think that this was the build era that was a bit dubious in the Fender factory? The bass sounded great btw and if I can get the cash together I may buy it if it’s still unsold.

Without seeing pictures to judge condition it's difficult to give a comprehensive reply regarding price. But it's in the right ball park for a 70s fender, maybe a little low, but without pics... 

If it's a player's bass then after market add-ons won't affect price too much. If it's a collector's bass, mint condition etc then it absolutely will.

1 minute ago, hooky_lowdown said:

Without seeing pictures to judge condition it's difficult to give a comprehensive reply regarding price. But it's in the right ball park for a 70s fender, maybe a little low, but without pics... 

If it's a player's bass then after market add-ons won't affect price too much. If it's a collector's bass, mint condition etc then it absolutely will.

Don’t have pics but seemed to my untrained eye in pretty good condition. I am looking at it because I want an instrument to play, not as as an investment but obviously don’t want it to lose value. Originally I was going for a USA deluxe (Swiss army knife syndrome) but after playing one I decided that my MM SUB sounded better so I am keeping that and going for a classic pBass.

I did pay more for my '76 USA P bass, though that was from a shop. I didn't mind though as I was happy with the price; it was absolutely what I wanted and very much pleases me to this day. I can only really echo the comments above about value. £1400 would appear good for a clean instrument without issues even if it did bare scars from years of use. Mine certainly does. I agree that a 'concours' example would be devalued by the addition of an aftermarket pickup, but at £1400 I don't think this will be a showroom piece. Steve is right. If it plays well then it's a good price, with the added tonal options. 

Very worst case if you bought it and wanted to return it to original is that you remove the added pickup, have the slot filled and then get the body resprayed? (Unless yours is also a natural finish!!)