Why become a member? ×

The most crowd pleasing set list ever?

MacDaddy

Missing a few because, well, because I'm human and probably missed a few. Also not included are those I assumed weren't serious and the other Smiths song. One was too many really. 

Basschat Ultimate Average Punter Crowd Pleasers Set List:

Sex on Fire
Sweet Home Alabama 
Song 2 
Wonderwall
Mustang Sally
Dakota 
Sweet Child of Mine
Living on a Prayer 
Play The Funky Music.
Let's Dance
Smells Like Teen Spirit 
Chelsea Dagger 
Proud Mary
Summer of 69
I'm a Believer
Sweet Caroline 
Johhny B Goode 
All Right Now 
Mr. Brightside
The Gambler
Don't Stop Me Now
Valerie
Have You Ever Seen The Rain
Brown Eyed Girl
I'm A Believer
Teenage Dirtbag
You Make My Dreams
BIllie Jean 
Walk This Way 
All Or Nothing 
The Joker 
I Want To Break Free 
Time Warp
Teenage Kicks
Footloose
Basket Case 
Uptown Funk
Three little birds
Hey Jude
Country Roads 
Zombie 
Sit Down 
I Am The Resurrection 
This Charming Man 
Waterfall 
Yellow 
With or without you 
Creep 
Hot Stuff 
Dancing in the Dark 
Get Lucky 
Superstition 
Hard To Handle 
Brown Sugar
Whisky In The Jar
Town Called Malice
Let Me Entertain You
Crocodile Rock
Brass In Pocket
Higher and Higher

Now let's have a fight over the order. 

28 minutes ago, stewblack said:

No need, just shoot me now! 

To be fair I could get a decent set from that lot but jeebus there's some some old toot in there. 

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Maude said:

No need, just shoot me now! 

To be fair I could get a decent set from that lot but jeebus there's some some old toot in there. 

Ah but it isn't for us. It's for them. I have never once played Valerie without people rush up to dance. No matter how dead the gig, they get up. Similarly Sweet Child. Those opening notes are like crack to them. 

I have passed through to a blissful place where I just love playing music for its own sake. It doesn't matter a bit to me what the song is. 

I think it's age. I went through a couple of years convinced that I was washed up, couldn't get a gig for love nor money. 

So when I landed a dep job playing stuff by bands I thought were the absolute pits, I didn't care.. Just so grateful to be making music with people. An epiphany if you like. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stewblack said:

Missing a few because, well, because I'm human and probably missed a few. Also not included are those I assumed weren't serious and the other Smiths song. One was too many really. 

Basschat Ultimate Average Punter Crowd Pleasers Set List:

Sex on Fire
Sweet Home Alabama 
Song 2 
Wonderwall
Mustang Sally
Dakota 
Sweet Child of Mine
Living on a Prayer 
Play The Funky Music.
Let's Dance
Smells Like Teen Spirit 
Chelsea Dagger 
Proud Mary
Summer of 69
I'm a Believer
Sweet Caroline 
Johhny B Goode 
All Right Now 
Mr. Brightside
The Gambler
Don't Stop Me Now
Valerie
Have You Ever Seen The Rain
Brown Eyed Girl
I'm A Believer
Teenage Dirtbag
You Make My Dreams
BIllie Jean 
Walk This Way 
All Or Nothing 
The Joker 
I Want To Break Free 
Time Warp
Teenage Kicks
Footloose
Basket Case 
Uptown Funk
Three little birds
Hey Jude
Country Roads 
Zombie 
Sit Down 
I Am The Resurrection 
This Charming Man 
Waterfall 
Yellow 
With or without you 
Creep 
Hot Stuff 
Dancing in the Dark 
Get Lucky 
Superstition 
Hard To Handle 
Brown Sugar
Whisky In The Jar
Town Called Malice
Let Me Entertain You
Crocodile Rock
Brass In Pocket
Higher and Higher

That's a very long set 😁 but a template for things to avoid. 

22 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Ah but it isn't for us. It's for them. 

I do kind of agree with you, I'm not snobby about what I play but it does baffle me that average punters will happily watch different bands, week after week, playing virtually the same set. I firmly believe that are so many great songs from the last century that we really don't need to all play the same stuff to please a crowd. 

Luckily one of my bands plays to a certain genre so we only play songs that fit with that, and the other band where I play doublebass has it's own style, so we take songs from all genres and change the arrangements to suit us. Both bands are popular so we can steer away from the above songs for our own sanity.

As the first band is a Mod band we do All Or Nothing and Town Called Malice (I quite often sing "a man called Gladys" 🙂 ) and we occasionally do Get Lucky in the other band, on doublebass it's fun, but that's it from the list. 

But in the right band I'll happily play anything as long it makes people happy. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stewblack said:

@Maude I used to be a dreadful snob! Maybe I'm really zealous now because I'm a convert. I make my living from music, such as it is. Learning those standards is my meal ticket! 

Mine too, and have been for a number of years. Nowt wrong with making a living, although after today this may prove to be damned near impossible 🙁

On 12/01/2020 at 09:35, casapete said:

One of those songs that when you hear the original you realise it still sounds amazing, especially as it’s now around 50 years old. Great drum sound, and Andy Fraser’s bass part is sublime. Annoys the sh*t out of me when you hear covers bands killing it though, with the usual errors - wrong guitar riff, bassist playing through the verses / worst of all not playing the pedal root notes in the choruses. And relax.....

Up there with bass players playing G note in the chorus of Whole Lotta Rosie instead of holding the A

18 hours ago, Oopsdabassist said:

Wait..what?  😲

Have a listen - sometimes Mark Evans played the A through half of the verse, sometimes the A C A D A C A pattern, sometimes an octave A, but ALWAYS the A through the chorus until the final section

Edited by DaytonaRik

• 2 months later...

Just put this lot together into a playlist as I thought it would be useful to run through every now and then. Any wedding/party dep gigs i get will most likely draw heavily from this. By the way, while we're all here, you know when we were analysing why the punter wants his weekly set chosen from a similar setlist regardless of who plays it? It just occured to me. If I go see a band, any band, and they have a couple of massive hits in their repertoire, or a song which has always gone down well with their fans, they likely play it, and usually near or at the end to send everyone home happy. I'd be disappointed if they didn't.

Well your average Joe/Jo at a pub on a Friday night or a wedding reception is no different s/he just gets to hear all the favourites regardless of who wrote them, genre or whether they're 'cool'. They get Sweet Child without sitting through two hours of GnR songs they don't recognise, then they get that song off that film they like, then that one evryone knows the words to.

Singing along with a bunch of other happy people is a hugely cathartic, enjoyable experience, similarly dancing while you all sing. To do this everyone needs to know the tune. Hardly surprising we end up with a set cherry picked from people's favourites. It's a bag of Revels with the disgusting coconut one taken out.

Also look how long a list our little experiment threw up. There's more than one set there, so it's not as if we all play an identical bunch of songs.

Interestingly I busked through a playlist on iReal Pro entitled Wedding. Almost immediately I was confronted with songs I'd never heard of and nowhere on our list. I'm going to hazard a guess it's an American list maybe? Which suggests regional and cultural differences. Be interesting to play that list to a Brit crowd and see what occured.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5r9xd8X_pqnNDSwYxSZSk2UyTRuTRU2h

• Like 1