Why become a member? ×

The most crowd pleasing set list ever?

MacDaddy

7 hours ago, Kiwi said:

The Birdy Song.

I know the bass player and drummer who did the session on that record. Time was short, the client didn't have a second track ready, so the producer offered the band either a straight session fee, or they could sling together something themselves to put on as a B side, and take a chance on getting a royalty payment out of it instead. Not surprisingly, they took the fee. BIG mistake. True story.

• Sad 1

On 10/01/2020 at 14:27, Happy Jack said:

This list contains no Abba, no Beatles, no Rolling Stones, no Clash ....

Yoi could cover most of this in one hit with '1977' by the Clash and have Mr Presley thrown in gratis.

"No Elvis, Beatles, or The Rolling Stones
In 1977
"

Followed by Fernando...

2 hours ago, lowregisterhead said:

I know the bass player and drummer who did the session on that record. Time was short, the client didn't have a second track ready, so the producer offered the band either a straight session fee, or they could sling together something themselves to put on as a B side, and take a chance on getting a royalty payment out of it instead. Not surprisingly, they took the fee. BIG mistake. True story.

Were they part of a Brit-Funk outfit Midnight Express?

21 minutes ago, Mykesbass said:

Were they part of a Brit-Funk outfit Midnight Express?

Not that I'm aware of, but it was a long time ago! I think it's best to preserve their anonymity in any case, to spare their blushes...

Not that I'm aware of, but it was a long time ago! I think it's best to preserve their anonymity in any case, to spare their blushes...

Just that I worked (and am still friends) with the guy who put the whole thing together. If it was them they have no need to blush, they were great musicians.

On 13/01/2020 at 13:52, Mykesbass said:

Just that I worked (and am still friends) with the guy who put the whole thing together. If it was them they have no need to blush, they were great musicians.

They definitely were, and still are, great musicians. The drummer moved to the States and produced several big name bands. The bass player went on to work with several name acts, and now plays with a couple of jazz outfits in Scotland.

• Like 1

On 11/01/2020 at 09:24, stewblack said:

Great thread, couple of tunes I'd not thought of for my pub covers band. Country Roads gets an amazing response whenever we play it. Ironically I don't do it in any of my covers bands but I do it in my originals band and they go loopy for it. 

Zombie is extremely popular too. 

Pedantic point, if you do a cover with your originals band, is it still an originals band? 😉

10 minutes ago, Norm said:

Pedantic point, if you do a cover with your originals band, is it still an originals band? 😉

Yes! It only becomes a covers band when all the songs (or realistically 90%) of the songs are covers. 

If the set list is 2 hours of material all original bar 3 or 4 covers then you are legally entitled to call it an originals band.

I can prove this to three decimal places using a Kerplunk game and two washing up bowls. 

• Haha 4

14 minutes ago, spectoremg said:

Which is why you hear Sex On Fire so much. Don't let punters pick your setlist. 

I've tried both approaches over the years. Doing my own songs and my own choices of covers is incredibly satisfying when it attracts a following and goes down well. 

Doing a set of well loved standards which appeals to a wide range of punters and goes down well is incredibly satisfying. 

Edited by stewblack
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Davo-London said:

I've heard it said that you should make sure the set list is dance-friendly.  That way any women in the audience will stay engaged.

Depends who you are and where you are playing, if you are a dancy group or not.

I mean if you are a prog group or a rush tribute act, there aren't going to be any women in the audience, so there are no worries on that front!

• Haha 2

i would love to see this set

SET 1

Agadoo
Mr Blobby
The smurf song
Iv got a brand new combine harvister
Muscat love
MacArthur Park
Ob-la-di ob-la-da
convoy
Barbie Girl
The Birdy song

SET 2

I Never Promised You A Rose Garden
puppet on a string
id like to teach the world to sing
Billy dont be a Hero.
disco duck.
Mandy ( barry manilow)
Some times when we touch.
Witch Doctor - (Ooh Eeh Ooh Ah Aah  Walla Walla Bing bong)
itsy bitsy polka dot bikini
monster mash

ENCORE 1

......check out the two hand tappin on the guitar before van and steve v,

ENCORE 2

And this to end on, ...im sure Paul Young would want to forget this and wipe it of the face of the earth, Sorry Paul :-)

Edited by funkgod
  • Haha 1

On 17/01/2020 at 08:05, Davo-London said:

I've heard it said that you should make sure the set list is dance-friendly.  That way any women in the audience will stay engaged.

Does anyone agree or disagree with this?

It does depend on where you're gigging: a function/wedding set will be primarily tuned to getting the ladies dancing (because when did you last see a bunch of blokes heading out onto the dance floor first?) and giving people singalonga hits, and that's also broadly true of a lot of pubs, unless you're on a rock circuit (not that there's many of those left) - play stuff people will sing and dance to, and they'll have a good time, and so will you*.

* If you like that sort of thing, but then I've always loved playing bass for ladies to dance to...YMMV, etc, etc...