Why become a member? ×

The most crowd pleasing set list ever?

MacDaddy

We play 50s and 60s Rock n Roll and didn't play Mustang Sally but got asked to learn it for an 80th birthday once. So we did and it went down well and decided to include it in the set for following gigs and it went down an absolute storm. We now make a thing of it and pull people up on stage to either sing the backing vocals or even the lead if they know it. It's a fun song that everyone knows and joins in on. 

Don't know whether I should admit this or not, but I had to search on YouTube for "The Gambler", I've never heard of it and didn't recognised it when it started playing.

I have have always steered well clear of country music because I just don't like it, I respect all genres of music, but country just isn't for me. 😉

20 hours ago, thebrig said:

Don't know whether I should admit this or not, but I had to search on YouTube for "The Gambler", I've never heard of it and didn't recognised it when it started playing.

I have have always steered well clear of country music because I just don't like it, I respect all genres of music, but country just isn't for me. 😉

We been asked for it a number of times in my country band, and also occasionally in my acoustic duo. Always seems to go down well whenever we’ve played it too. I think it’s popularity in recent years was something to do with it being adopted by the England rugby team and their fans, giving it a new audience.

Alright Now has been done to death of course, but audiences still seem to love it - even in a band I was in where the drummer insisted on playing something more at home in “Firestarter” (The Prodigy) than the song the rest of the band were trying to play. 😳 

edit: actually, I see Alright Now did get a mention in a previous post - but it does strangely still seem to go down well, despite being mandatory on pretty much every rock compilation cd ever released.

Edited by Krysbass

48 minutes ago, Krysbass said:

Alright Now has been done to death of course, but audiences still seem to love it - even in a band I was in where the drummer insisted on playing something more at home in “Firestarter” (The Prodigy) than the song the rest of the band were trying to play. 😳 

edit: actually, I see Alright Now did get a mention in a previous post - but it does strangely still seem to go down well, despite being mandatory on pretty much every rock compilation cd ever released.

One of those songs that when you hear the original you realise it still sounds amazing, especially as it’s now around 50 years old. Great drum sound, and Andy Fraser’s bass part is sublime. Annoys the sh*t out of me when you hear covers bands killing it though, with the usual errors - wrong guitar riff, bassist playing through the verses / worst of all not playing the pedal root notes in the choruses. And relax.....

We stopped doing Sit Down after the singer/guitard and I played a weekend drum clinic thing for an ex-drummer; long story short, we played it 48 times in one weekend. After that, it got dropped for a good while. As you say, it's always a guaranteed floor-filler to have in the back pocket. And you can play it while asleep, too... 😀

Surprisingly, The Smiths' This Charming Man and There Is A Light never, ever fail. Massive bonus is they're terrific bass lines that are fun to play. 

Oh, and I Am The Resurrection, too - people might be politely enthusiastic during the verses, but once the chorus drops...blimey... 😃

• Like 1

Last night the barman came up and profusely thanked us for NOT playing Mr. Brightside, Sex On Fire, Dakota, etc.,  etc. He said he hears the same songs every week and was overjoyed to hear something different, played well and with enthusiasm. He's only a young chap too

• Like 1

I play in a pub covers band.

The rest of the band pride themselves in playing more unusual songs other bands don’t play.

I’m more of the opinion we’re there to give the punters what they want which is undoubtedly the usual suspects.

its an interesting debate but I think there’s a balance to be had.

My band tend to turn their noses up if I suggest anything too popular!

We do quite a few already mentioned though!