Why become a member? ×

The most crowd pleasing set list ever?

MacDaddy

15 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

This list contains no Abba, no Beatles, no Rolling Stones, no Clash ....

. . . . . and no

BIllie Jean ~ Michael Jackson

Walk This Way ~ Aerosmith

All Or Nothing ~ The Small Faces

The Joker ~ Steve Miller

I Want To Break Free ~ Queen

31 minutes ago, machinehead said:

This is the most requested song ever.  God knows why?

Frank.

In the sorts of pubs where this happens, this is given a very close run for its money by Wagon Wheel. Again, no idea why...

• Like 1

By the end of the first page of this thread I'd ticked off 12 songs from my covers band's setlist.

Folks just know what they like, and like what they know.

They're in the venue to relax and have fun, they really don't want 17 minute Jazz Odyssey-esque tomfoolery.

They really don't.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, machinehead said:

This is the most requested song ever.  God knows why?

Frank.

Maybe round your manor. I've not been playing as long as some here but I've been in several bands and done a stint in a house band at an open mic. I've attended many many open mic/jams and I can confidently say I've never heard a single person perform it while I was there. Never been in a set list of any band I've been in. But then I don't do country so its all about context I guess.

10 hours ago, ambient said:

I’ve often wondered, do they really like those, or do they just pretend to, to please the band? 

We removed mustang sally from our list, and got complaints.

9 hours ago, Maude said:

Why don't cover bands ever do Hocus Pocus by Focus? I would love to see that, and the look on the average punters face. 😆

Because it is a really terrible song! Having been around a lot of prog people, I never understood the interest in them.

7 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

This list contains no Abba, no Beatles, no Rolling Stones, no Clash ....

Despite it not being there yet, our set list contains 1 of each (2 if you consider twist and shout, although that was a cover)

Most of this stuff listed is in our set list (although a few are Ska'd up), we do a lot of what people want, apart from oasis, as I won't do that.

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, KevB said:

I've attended many many open mic/jams and I can confidently say I've never heard a single person perform it while I was there. Never been in a set list of any band I've been in. But then I don't do country so its all about context I guess.

Me neither - never heard it played anywhere by anyone and we have a lot of cover bands round here, maybe its regional?

Pretty well everything else on here though.

On 10/01/2020 at 21:36, KevB said:

Maybe round your manor. I've not been playing as long as some here but I've been in several bands and done a stint in a house band at an open mic. I've attended many many open mic/jams and I can confidently say I've never heard a single person perform it while I was there. Never been in a set list of any band I've been in. But then I don't do country so its all about context I guess.

Just to clear this up - we never play The Gambler when its requested, and I've never heard any band play it either, or seen it on a set list.

I play in a covers band, and a blues/classic rock band, and in every band I've played in, (and I've been playing for a long, long time) there's always some c%*t asks for The Gambler. 😆

Frank.

Edited by machinehead
grammar

Great thread, couple of tunes I'd not thought of for my pub covers band. Country Roads gets an amazing response whenever we play it. Ironically I don't do it in any of my covers bands but I do it in my originals band and they go loopy for it. 

Zombie is extremely popular too.