Why become a member? ×

Cavity Shielding

jimmy23cricket

Hi All, 

I'm after some advice please. I noticed that one of my basses doesn't have any copper shielding in the cavity. I have never had any issues with interference or noise (I suspect that's down to the EMG electronics)

So my question is, should I still consider shielding and if so, whats the best way to go about doing it?

Thanks

Like you say, if you've never had any issues before I wouldn't bother. In fact, you might cause yourself some problems by adding some shielding and having the electronics ground out on it. 

If it ain't broke...

Edited by Jonse
  • Like 1

I would only worry about shielding with single coil pickups anyway, and even then I thought it was more of a guitar thing, because of the high gain which will amplify any hum. I did it on a Telecaster, but I've never worried about it on a bass.

1 hour ago, NancyJohnson said:

If you're looking to shield the cavity, honestly, go to your local garden centre and find some adhesive copper tape; it's identical to the stuff sold as musical cavity shielding and horticulturaly used to keep slugs off your planters.  Fraction of the price too.

Yep, this is what I have used a number of times.