Ted Theodore Logan, III

Sandberg California II Fretless TT4 Passive Jazz (In Two Parts)
£1045
Devon

In order to avoid alienating the “traditionaly sane" members of the Basschat community, I have arranged the following advert to be compiled in two parts. 

Part One will detail; 

· The item for sale
· The asking price 
· The option for delivery/collection 

Part Two will contain; 

· Mostly nonsense
· Incoherent babbling
· The ramblings of a mad man

Both parts will be void of any humour (naturally) 
and absolutely no content contained within Part Two should be taking likely and can not be held against me in my forthcoming sanity plea...

Part One

Item Description

model: Sandberg California II TT4 Fretless Bass Guitar

finish: 3 tone Sunburst Matt

electronics: Sandberg AlNiCo Passive Jazz Pickups

controls: Volume, Balance, Tone

hardware: Sandberg Locking Tuners & Sandberg Premium Bridge (matching black)

neck: Unmarked Fretless

fingerboard wood: Rosewood 

scale: 34inch

weight: 4.4kg

case: Sandberg Padded Gig Bag

condition: Mint

price: £1045

Shipping

insured courier: £40 approx (location dependant)

collection: Free

part-meet: Cost of fuel

Those interested in purchasing this instrument should completely and utterly disregard any further text.

Thank you for reading.

Part Two

So basically, back when I was slightly more deluded than I am today, I purchased a number of Fretless Bass Guitars with the notion that I could master a Fretless instrument with little to no actual effort being made on my part. Needless to say, I was wrong...

Whilst it might not be “Racket-Silence" or “Brian Sturgeon-ary" to learn how to play a Fretless Bass Guitar, I will come clean right now and just admit that I am far too lazy to continue with anything that doesn't go my way immediately or pretty soon thereafter... I wouldn't go as far to say that I'm a defeatist but let me put it this way; If I flip the switch on a kettle and it ain't plugged in... the tea ain't getting made! Same goes for if ain't got no water in...

So anyway, I'm now in possession of an all-round awesome German-made Sandberg California II Fretless Bass Guitar that just isn't getting played and even when it is actually getting played it's actually not getting played, it's just more or less just being held whilst I slide a finger up the D string and listen to it go “Mwahhh"... and then back down the D string to hear it go “Mwohhh"... I will sometimes repeat this three or four times before returning the gorgeous instrument to its lovely Sandberg padded case...

To be honest I'm a little miffed as the sales person who sold me the instrument told me that “Sandberg's literally play themselves". I think what they meant to have said was “Sandberg's figuratively play themselves" because, believe me, this instrument does NOT play itself. Not that I ever tried connecting it to an amp and leaving it in a stand next to my record player whilst I played it classic funky Motown tracks in the hope that it might play along... Ha, ha!! No, that'd be stoopid!!... Ha!!.. ha, ha... :$  Actually, come to think of it, maybe I just didn't have the volume up loud enough... ... I'll try again tomorrow... 
So I'm not making any promises but this instrument might actually play itself!!...

The Sandberg is a passive bass meaning that it is entirely non-violent and fully compliant. It has AlNiCo Jazz Pickups, possibly something to do with Al Pacino...

The fingerboard is Rosewood or possibly a Pau Ferro which I'm assuming is the creator of the material but it looks like Rosewood but apparently it's actually a Pau Ferro which I have no idea what a Pau Ferro is... But it might be the creator but I'm not sure... But it's actually probably Rosewood... :scratch_one-s_head:Let's go with “Ro Ferro" :i-m_so_happy:

The hardware is black and all of it is, so that looks pretty cool... Err, it's also got a pickguard for those of you with really long scratchy “Nosferatu" nails or terrible “punk-like" strumming technique...

Anyway, the finish is rather interesting. That's “finish" not “Finnish" though I'm sure the Finnish are also rather interesting... but in regards to the Sandberg's body finish, this finish is actually a 3 tone matt sunburst finish which is rather close to the tobacco sunburst finish but somewhere in between that finish and the regular sunburst finish. So altogether a pretty unique looking finish...

Anyway, that's the finish!!

Oh!! If you're actually interested in the Sandberg, visiting times are daily between 08:00 - 10:00 & 16:00 - 19:00 unless specifically requested in advance.

Enjoy the grainy pics (apparently “the camera has been drinking, not me...")

jvshsjdyxoyu4nhtp6bw.jpg

te8crwiegcm6inqrrjwn.jpg

losc6mc0slcopfciqvub.jpg

wn3yabhdseq7dkz09qbd.jpg

mxsrzuvggas1fbrehtta.jpg

cwho8rxrau06dpvxmzko.jpg

fw6xausotp0r8pmi9zwj.jpg

b6eokpbbxblvo65kfksv.jpg

lvvy9t62mdkaszmti58h.jpg

mgseclvcolvhsnqtmh5u.jpg

rlyl5uixy5e81ixcph2b.jpg

tuxfabixqgrklgockizp.jpg

You'll notice these pics have been taken in the recreational room as my outside privileges have temporarily been revoked because of Steve claiming that I took his red rubber ball, which I didn't.  I just held it for a bit and then I lost it... AND!! I didn't “back-up" the staff toilet by trying to flush it!!  That's not at all what I did!..

Edited by Ted Theodore Logan, III
internet privileges also revoked
  • Like 4
  • Haha 5

Love the ad, and love the bass.

Just occasionally I wonder what two basses I'd buy (one fretted, one fretless) though Basschat if I were to sell my Wal (not ever going to happen). Your lovely Sandberg would currently cover the fretless element of that thought experiment.

Very good luck with the sale.

P

• Thanks 1

Lovely!

Sandbergs (to me) have the look of “quiet authority” about them. 
It’s like they know what they can do, and know they can do it well, so have no need to shout about it. And yet at the same time they’re very attractive and know it too. 

They're a standoffish Carol Vorderman.

🤭 

• Like 1

I think the fretboard, which actually isn't one as there are no frets in it (not on it as they would be gone with the wind), or more unprecisely the fingerboard as you can't see any fingers on it, is more made out of brownie wood, like the cookies, but way much harder, unless you can't cook and make brownies as hard as concrete or maybe use concrete instead of flour, that often end up on the floor, that said, hence the close name to be sure you can't get wrong.

So, long story short, it's Pau Ferrosewood in fact.

Please don't forget your donation.

• Haha 1